• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has acupuncture helped?

Hi,

Looking back on my 15 years of ME/CFS-- my best years were years where I was seeing an acupuncturist consistently. Once every week or two weeks.
First, I believe the effectiveness depends on the talent of the acupuncturist. I've met some "Westerners" who had delved into acupuncture and understood CFS and some were very good. I've also been treated by Chinese Acupuncturists who were trained in China and barely spoke any English and I also received benefits.

Right now I'm seeing an acupuncturist and the main benefits are improved digestion---huge!--so for me it's worth it.

It's a frustrating modality because the improvements take time and patience and are often not dramatic---not like taking an anti biotic---so many find it's not worth the money.

You can always try acupuncture schools or find a chiropractor who might bill your acupuncture as part of an office visit. Did I say that?

ruben

hi there, are there any acupuncturists in the uk who treat ME/CFS on the NHS. I'm based in suffolk. i have had it privately, but yes it's very expensive. in my experience it is pretty effective but you need it reguarly

Methylation high B12 in blood serum

Hi There

Im new and not sure where to post this. This is about the methylation cycle regarding B12 and Folate. I have always come up quite high on a blood serum test for B12 even though I take the smallest amount of B12 in a complex. Does this mean I can still be deficient and that I am not absorbing and it just shows up high in my blood serum? Perhaps Fredd can answer this. Please direct me to the right area for posting this information. Thank you so much

Kindest Regards

Madonna

For 12 years I was half dead from this x virus. When I found acupuncture it changed my life. It doesn't make me 100 percent, but close. Tell your acupuncturist to treat your immune system. Mine uses 22 needles from my feet to my chest. I have to get it every three weeks because it wears off. I found him in Philadelphia's Chinatown and he doesn't have any idea what's wrong with me. I don't care about that, I'm just thankful that his needles give me part of my life back. Let me know if I can help further. / Ron

ukxmrv

Ruben, the Homepathic hospital does accupuncture on the NHS in London but I don't know how many others do. I've heard of it offered in pain clinics in major hospitals as well.

Sadly, I've had accupuncture from 3 different practitioners over the decades with no change in ME viral symptoms

XMRV+

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
HI Wciarci, I was wondering if you went for acupuncture and how it went? I'm in a serious relapse and feeling like I need to do something. I haven't had acupuncture in years but when I did the person was clueless about CFS so who knows. I looked into the community listing above but nothing even close to me. I found a place with a free 20 minute consult but I need to ask about a sliding scale. Anyway. I'm curious as to whether or not you went and how you found it. Jan

moblet

Unknown Quantity
I haven't had acupuncture in years but when I did the person was clueless about CFS so who knows.
One shouldn't expect an acupuncturist (or practitioner of anything other than conventional medicine) to be either conversant with the definition of CFS, or to accept it. "CFS" is a medical definition, and all it really means is Clueless Doctor Syndrome anyway. Each modality has its own model of human health, its own way of looking at the body, and its own language and definitions. In my case for example, doctors insist that my symptoms are not medical conditions, and that I have nothing wrong or a psychological problem. Naturopaths can locate and rank the severity of my problems but can't do anything for them. Acupuncturists can give me an instant dx from describing my symptoms alone, and deliver moderately effective treatment while saying they can't cure it. Cranial osteopaths recognise it in a few seconds' palpation, describe me as a "classic case", and reckon that they ultimately will be able to get it under control. In my experience some of the best practitioners of complementary medicine know relatively little about the current state of play in the medical profession, because they are so consumed in mastering their own profession. The question to ask when trying any modailty is not "do they speak or understand the language my doctor uses?" but "how good a handle do they have on what's wrong with me, and how much can they help me?" I'd also suggest that any practitioner who accepts a dx that effectively means "I've no idea what's wrong and there's no way I can help you" probably isn't going to be much help.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Very true. I did find a guy who does acupuncture and cranial sacral massage. But no way can I afford it unless he lowers his fees. let me ask you, when going to a new "practioner" what exactly do I tell them about my health. That I've been sick for 16 years with "and rattle off my symptoms"? how would I approach a new person? Especially in light of my recent crash where I feel like a zombie. Seriously... just going through the motions.

Thanks and could you please put paragraph breaks in. I cannot read all this text together. Thanks.

moblet

Unknown Quantity
That's easy. You describe what you experience, in your own words. Avoid describing your condition purely in terms of the labels used by other modalities, that's a bit like translating everything into Russian and back again. If a practitioner wants to know what labels another modality has assigned, they will ask.

Sorry about the paragraph-itis, I have the same reading problem too. Didn't realise how long it was until after I'd posted it...

anniekim

Had weekly acupuncture and herbs for a year by a guy who supposedly had a lot of success with other people with m.e. MAde some small improvements after eight months, then had a filling out, relapsed, continued for another four months with no improvement so gave up. Spent a lot of money with no net gains

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks moblet, makes sense. Would be nice if my brain works. My fog seems to have lifted some today although the fatigue remains. I can deal with the fatigue.

There is a place I've seen for years that I thought just sold herbs but there are great reviews. I can get a 20 minute free consultation so I think I may do it to check it out when I can manage it. Cost will be a big issue.

If I see more than 3 lines of text everything in my brain fires, my eyes glaze over and I'm sunk. I usually only do 2 sentences in general so I can read what I type.

Thanks for the help.

Anniekim, I spent a ton on removing amalgams and DMPS chelation. I got 2 benefits that I am aware of. My equilibrium is better, and my chemical sensitivities to things is gone. I could not walk into a doctors office without having a strong reaction to the chemicals. I also had the same problem with grocery stores and their cleaning products and pesticides. You have to figure out if it is worth it to you. Not sure if I would do it again.

Misfit Toy

Acupuncture and herbs really helped when I had Endometriosis. Totally got rid of the pain and I didn't need surgeries anymore. As far as the CFS and fibro, it has done nothing. It has made my fibromyalgia worse. I have found they really don't understand CFS, or how to treat it. For pain, it may help that day, but that is it. I have spent $1,000's on acupuncture. I would say it's different for everyone. I see a Dr. Chang from time to time in New Jersey. He does acupuncture, but even he says that acupuncture doesn't help CFS until other things are looked at; such as mercury or lead poisoning. CFS has so many variables to what is wrong with us, it's not just one thing.

What has helped me is Shiatsu. Shiatsu and Reiki have really helped. For whatever reason, the needles have totally killed my fibromyalgia. My shiatsu massage therapist is really gentle and does cranio sacral, which has changed my life.

Best of luck!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks, I think it is trial and error as to what works and who does the therapy. I also think talking symptoms vs. diagnosis would help. I just heard from a friend who goes for acupuncture once a month and he said it really helps him with his cognitive functioning and energy and swears by it.

I can only do about one thing a week so will take care of some things and then see about going.

mellster

Marco
I think it's a hit or miss. Acupuncture might be beneficial for cognitive function and to calm down and reset your system, but if pain is the main issue, I'd go with massage, good effleurage first (that's hard enough) and - if you can take it (most probably can't) - to up the ante trigger point massage and/or deep shiatsu. There are probably a lot of therapists claiming deep shiatsu or deep tissue bad-ass hard massage, but a real deep and hard massage hurts like crazy and the majority of people cannot take the pressure, and even more if you already have pain in the massaged areas. It is beneficial, but probably needs to be approached with caution. I find effleurage with moderate and sustained pressure beneficial for fibro pain.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm lucky I have pretty much no pain. I feel my cognitive "dysfunction" is not only in itself exhausting but it adds to my physical fatigue. When I cannot think straight, I'm much more fatigued. I think if I can get some mental clarity, calm down some and destress (not sure if that is even possible for me), then that would be good.

I had a massage years ago and it was agony and I hated every minute of it. I'll pass on that for sure.

Francelle

I had a course of acupuncture last year and found it helped a great deal with fatigue/energy. It did nothing for the pain though.

Also weirdly (is that a word?) I seemed to become more and more sensitive to the needle insertions as time went on. Initially I couldn't even feel them, then they became quite unbearable & I dreaded them! Wimp!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
During my crash I was looking for something and got some Jarrow B12. No kidding the difference is amazing. I take it first thing in the a.m. and my brain fog is 90% gone. Still have the fatigue but that is easier for me to deal with. I've been taking passion flower to help me sleep which it does and it puts me in a good mood.

So I may wait on the acupuncture if for no other reason than financial. Don't know if I have the money to do it consistently, especially since I'm feeling ok right now.

I'm sorry you had some pain with yours. Did they know why? At least you got some relief. Thanks for the input.