• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair growing out damaged?

xena

Hi friends- does anyone else notice a difference in their hair since getting ill? Mine is much tangled and prone to matting. Quite frustrating and hard to manage, and it does seem thinner and apt to break off more.

I thought I'd damaged it by washing with baking soda but now realize that it's that way at the roots as well. Any advice?

Diwi9

Administrator
Yes, mine has become curlier. I have a patch that grows really frizzy. I rarely wear my hair straight anymore as it's more trouble than it's worth. My hair doesn't grow as fast and is weaker and dryer. I also had a very fast transition to gray after I turned 40.

lenora

Oh, my hair texture has changed numerous times. I've also heard the same complaint from friends who don't have the problem(s) we do. I tend to have a full, thick head of hair until say, November, at which time it falls out....not just in small amounts, but whole combs full. It has been this way for 42 years as it started the first year we were here. I now consider it quite normal and accept it as it is.

I've found that biotin and a special skin, nails and hair vitamin is very good for this problem. As we get older, our hair does become thinner and once we stop dyeing it, even thinner again. A dermatologist or probably even your GP can identify the type of pattern the loss is and, if necessary, certain things can be used. Women can have male pattern baldness, but it sounds as if yours is caused by dye, nutrition, getting older (if you're past 40, that is,

Yes, I finally gave up and let mine grow out about 10 yrs. ago. It's now white, and I constantly have women asking me where I get it dyed!! Even young girls. It's laughable to think of the years and money spent on having it dyed. Plus I look at pics now and I looked truly awful. It comes across as more of a blonde color b/c I'm so fair and it blends right in.

I did cut it short myself before I completed letting it grow out. It was so fast that neither my husband nor myself even remember the process. Permanent dye begins to fade after a certain amount of washes (quite a few, but it happens), and that hurries the process along.

Nutrition plays a large part in the health of our hair, skin and nails. My nails grow very fast and the only thing I spend money on is a pedicure every six wks. ($30...$5/00 per wk.). If I do them myself or my husband does, I only get about 3 wks. out of them. Besides, they do a much better job and it's a treat and, in my case, an actual outing.

I keep my hair in layers, so I've learned to cut it myself. I learned on youtube. With layers it doesn't matter if you mess up or not. I wouldn't try a straight cut on myself. The brand I use is Nature's Bounty....optimal solutions, Extra Strength HAIR< SKIN & NAILS, Argan oil infused.

I don't use it everyday, but have cut back to about 3 times/wk, It's biotin that makes hair thicker but bear in mind that it will take mos. before you see a difference. (Hair has to strengthen & grow first.) The texture changes every few years, although at this age, it's more thinness on top that is a concern. Still, I'm a lot better off than a lot of friends my age. I don't like going to beauty salons, so consider it almost a punishment when I do. I would get your hair cut to ear lobe length in order to speed it up and make it easier on you. I'm 73 yrs. old and my husband loves my white hair. Since menopause began at 42 for me, changes became noticeable early on. If you aren't working out, too much shampooing can cause hair to dry out faster. Build up to washing it once/wk., and I think you'll like the less work aspect of it. Mine gets too dry if I do it more often.

I hope I've helped settle your minds. Yours, Lenora

lenora

Hi friends- does anyone else notice a difference in their hair since getting ill? Mine is much tangled and prone to matting. Quite frustrating and hard to manage, and it does seem thinner and apt to break off more.

I thought I'd damaged it by washing with baking soda but now realize that it's that way at the roots as well. Any advice?
Xena.....There is a shampoo and Conditioner called Kenra that is very good and unfortunately, quite expensive. Salons sell it, the company doesn't. I don't like conditioner in the least, but have found this product is just what my hair needs.

I also bought a lg. pump bottle of their shampoo, which I use first, rinse and then put the conditioner on & let it rest while I complete the remainder of my shower. When I'm finished, I rinse the conditioner off very well, find it doesn't make my hair greasy (like so many others do), and then apply a bit of mousse. I don't even have to curl it any longer and it falls into soft waves and basically does what it wants. I do put a curler in the front b/c I don't like anything in my eyes. If your hair is all one-length you probably won't have to worry about this step. Other than that I put a few clips in while it dries and if nothing else, I can always put it up if needed. I sit outside to dry it so that a hair dryer isn't needed. Sephora used to carry the line, I think it still does, but I haven't checked recently. I never use hot tools on my hair b/c of the damage. It looks better with each passing day...thankfully.

However, if I'm stressed or not eating properly, I'll have problems. I know that now, so take care of myself. I couldn't bear wearing a wig in the heat I live in. Winter yes, probably, but summer absolutely not. At least your hair shouldn't tangle. Best wishes. Yours, Lenora.

Seadragon

I have this too. I find my hair does better with simple and very light shampoo and conditioner (eg those that say for "everyday use") - nothing too rich and heavy or those that are classed as "ultra moisturising" etc otherwise my hair goes limp and greasy at the roots and, weirdly, seems to get even more tangly and dry further down the hair shaft.

I know this affected my confidence when I was first ill (I was only 19) as my hair suddenly went from shiny and healthy to dull, thin and tangly/matted. It seems like a small thing when faced with ME but it can be upsetting. :hug: