• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

H2 Blockers Worth It?

I have a MCAS diagnosis and have been on both H1 (allegra) + H2 (Zantac) blockers 2x/day for several months now, per recommendation from my ME & Lyme doctors. In addition I'm taking quercetin and neuroprotek. This protocol seems to be helping slightly with symptoms (most of all itchiness).

In addition to MCAS, I also have gut dysbiosis. When I consulted with my naturopathic doctor, it was her view that the H2 blockers do more harm than help to my body overall (while they help calm down MCAS, they disrupt the gut flora significantly).

Does anyone have a strong opinion about whether H2 antihistamines are worth it when you have gut dysbiosis and MCAS? Are there any alternatives to H2 blockers that don't disrupt gut flora?

Blake2e

I have a MCAS diagnosis and have been on both H1 (allegra) + H2 (Zantac) blockers 2x/day for several months now, per recommendation from my ME & Lyme doctors. In addition I'm taking quercetin and neuroprotek. This protocol seems to be helping slightly with symptoms (most of all itchiness).

In addition to MCAS, I also have gut dysbiosis. When I consulted with my naturopathic doctor, it was her view that the H2 blockers do more harm than help to my body overall (while they help calm down MCAS, they disrupt the gut flora significantly).

Does anyone have a strong opinion about whether H2 antihistamines are worth it when you have gut dysbiosis and MCAS? Are there any alternatives to H2 blockers that don't disrupt gut flora?
I take many different kinds of antihistamine but they are all H1 antagonist. Gen 2 H1 antagonists at large enough doses act as mast cell stabilizers and that usually resolves my acid reflux. To me H2 antags dont feel right to take especially since my gut microbiome is in extreme disarray already. Like other said cromolyn and ketotifen are also good alternatives

Hd-x

It depends on the gut related problems,
for nausea, anorexia and so on, Cyproheptadine is imo the best working antihistamine around. (it can for some ppl. also reduce allergic bloated belly and irritable bowel syndrom). It stimulates appetite as well.
The downside is it is very old medicine that can cause fatigue (best taken bevore sleeping), it can also cause blurred vision and should not be taken by any ppl. with glaucoma.
It is a histamine and serotonin antagonist (to keep in mind if taking any SSRI)

Because it is very old medicine there is no longer any research and it is without renewal for some applications,.
Most use is today offlabel.

I used it often in past if I had gut problems, it makes my gut "feeling beeing well" :) and it was a great fix for my irritable bowel syndrom. It seems not to effect my gut flora, certainly I can´t proof or guarantee it - i still can say i personally never noticed any negative effects on my gut.

With FM/CFS I was suddenly no longer able to tolerate it any longer then 10days in a row, I get blurred vision if I take it too long. It seems FM/CFS makes sensitive against a lot off drugs.
Since I have MCAS diagnosed, I will give cyproheptadine a new try, perhaps I tolerate it meanwhile somewhat better.
(my sensitive to drugs & herbs change "from time to time" ).

Last edited: