• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Inflammation changes Microbiome to Aerobic

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/02/230202112651.htm

This caught my eye for those of you focused on gut problems.

"Reddy and his colleagues discovered that the damage immune cells cause to intestinal cells prevents these cells from fully using oxygen to conduct their normal functions. Consequently, all the oxygen that is not being used by intestinal cells oozes into the intestine, changing the environment for the resident microbes."

The study is about grafts, but also may apply to other gut inflammation. It points to an iron chelator as a treatment.

linusbert

i didnt even know that there was oxygen in the intestines. so how to prevent it? i dont want to use iron chelators.

Wishful

I just re-read the quote, and now I'm wondering how accurate it actually is. Is oxygen carried by blood cells and not taken up by mitochondria really going to "ooze" around? Maybe swallowed instruments are measuring elevated oxygen levels, but the "Oozing" comment sure doesn't sound scientific.

There's a wide range of chemicals that would bind up oxygen in the gut. The question is which one won't cause serious problems. Metallic sodium would not be a good choice; just sayin'. I can't offhand think of a safe one. I doubt that there's much research on how a reductant would work in the human digestive system. Maybe it would do the required job in one part of the digesting tract, but screw up other parts. Preventing the inflammation that causes the intestinal cells to work improperly would probably be the safe choice.