• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GSTP1 and Vitamin E

Peyt

Hi,
I am trying to figure out if I should take Vitamin E to help with my fatty liver and Preferal Nuropathy.
However, there seems to be some studies that says people with GSTP1 (either AG or GG) will have a negative effect when taking Vitamin E because it will increase inflammation. Study below:
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1695

Now my question is: Does anyone know if this problem applies to both forms of Vitamin E (α-tocopherol and tocotrienol)?
The reason I ask is the study above was done with only the α-tocopherol, so I am wondering if the other form is okay, or at least there has not been any studies on it being a problem. Does anyone know if there is any information regarding increase in inflammation and usage of the tocotrienol form of Vit E?
Thanks so much,

Hi,

I can say that the only thing that has worked for me is vitamin E 400UI, dl-alfa-tocoferil acetato. It has reduced the pain in my legs a lot. I dont whether can cause more inflamation or not

pamojja

However, there seems to be some studies that says people with GSTP1 (either AG or GG) will have a negative effect when taking Vitamin E because it will increase inflammation

Most of these vitamin studies make the mistake of testing one nutrient in high doses in isolation. Especially with high alpha-tocopherol it is known that it reduces the other isomers of beta-, gamma-, and delta tocopherols. That alone could account for most negative effects of alpha-tocopherol supplementation. Or worse but very common, they even used the synthetic form of dl-alpha tocopherol. Therefore always best to also supplement the other tocopherols when supplementing natural l-alpha tocopherol.

I'm not aware of any study showing increased inflammation with yet another form of vitamin E, the tocotrienols.