• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Growth Hormone

paolo

Has anyone been tested for Human Growth Hormone? I've found some correlation betwen HGH deficiency and ME symptoms.

I'm waiting for my lab test on GH and IGF1 to see if my pitituary gland works properly, because a physichian has hypothesized I may suffer of a lack of this hormone.

Last edited:
I had a GH test, but it was the pulsatile kind that does not tell you much. Did you have a good kind of test?

I would not be surprised if I had deficiency, and I would love to take HGH, but cannot afford it.

paolo

GH test has not a particular meaning, because of the floating rate of secretion.

There are some indirect ways to test GH production by pitituary gland. One of these is IGF1 level, which is an hormone secreted by liver under GH stimulation.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
My IGF-1 was higher than the upper limit. I am not a giant and certainty I don´t feel good. Must mean something but I don´t know what. Maybe it gets high when other hormones are low. I have lots of low hormones.

paolo

My IGF-1 was higher than the upper limit. I am not a giant and certainty I don´t feel good. Must mean something but I don´t know what. Maybe it gets high when other hormones are low. I have lots of low hormones.

I know another CFS patient with high IGF-1, and she as well is wondering the meaning of this finding.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I've read that pitituary gland can be damaged by an infection, so now I'm wondering if some case of CFS is in fact a case of acquired pituitary disfunction.

explains why alot of us have hormones that are out of whack and have other dysfunctional neurological symptoms such as sleep issues, pots/oi etc

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I wish they would approve Xyrem for ME/CFS. There was a study done with CFS patients that showed all of them with significantly increased GH in the first phase of Deep Sleep and another smaller release during the second phase of Deep sleep.

But Xyrem is probably more expensive than GH. There could be a possibility for some of us to get on a Patient Assistance Program for either GH or Xyrem. We want know unless we try!

L'engle

moogle
There are pituitary glandulars on iherb (inexpensive) but I haven't tried them. I have no idea if it would be remotely useful but if someone tries them let us know.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah that would be cool. I would be trying hypothalamus though if I had to try glandulars for sleep. Too bad is very expensive for a "long shot". The HPA dysfunction pretty much accounts for my sleep problems and many other symptoms, that´s clear. Adrenal glandular is cheaper and might help too, according to Dr. Larry Wilson in his book on Adrenal Fatigue.

Last edited:

knackers323

I wish they would approve Xyrem for ME/CFS. There was a study done with CFS patients that showed all of them with significantly increased GH in the first phase of Deep Sleep and another smaller release during the second phase of Deep sleep.

But Xyrem is probably more expensive than GH. There could be a possibility for some of us to get on a Patient Assistance Program for either GH or Xyrem. We want know unless we try!

Anyone know where to get xyrem? I've tried the hgh and it made a big difference but way to expensive. Xyrem may be the next best thing.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Xyrem can only be prescribed for narcolepsy. excessive daytime sleepiness and I'm not sure what happened with the fibromyalgia push for Xyrem. I saw in the "Clinical Trials" website that had a study for Xyrem and CFS and it was terminated because the could not get enough participants and there was just a lack of support for the study. I sort of want to call BS on that.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Xyrem can only be prescribed for narcolepsy. excessive daytime sleepiness and I'm not sure what happened with the fibromyalgia push for Xyrem. I saw in the "Clinical Trials" website that had a study for Xyrem and CFS and it was terminated because the could not get enough participants and there was just a lack of support for the study. I sort of want to call BS on that.
I second the BS can smell It all the way down here.

Crux

Hi Beyond;

Zinc brought my elevated IGF-1 down by over 100 points. It has regulatory properties. Some people may also need B6 for it to work.