• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Group Therapy in UK?

I have been feeling a lot better recently but I really need help with improving my social skills as I really don't get any daily practice of speaking to people face to face, my family never have any proper conversations with me and they usually just do their own thing independently, then I also have the aspergers also which makes it harder but I've also made progress in fixing the autistic symptoms as well...

So I was thinking group therapy would be good as I get to practice speaking in front of other people but I wasn't sure what type would be good for me. Does anyone know any good places or types of group therapy in london uk?

I'm not looking for this therapy to cure my health condition, its more to improve my social skills, confidence and manage dealing with my health conditions better.

I don't want to get referred by the NHS as I don't want my GP to think all my health stuff is just psychological (probably already thinks that but I would rather keep this private off my health record) I also did CBT once on the NHS which wasn't helpful at all. I have seen a private integrative therapist before which I did find helpful for managing my personal life issues and didn't help my health issues but I wasn't expecting him to do that.

Thanks

andyguitar

So I was thinking group therapy would be good as I get to practice speaking in front of other people but I wasn't sure what type would be good for me.
This might sound like a strange suggestion but one way to improve social skills and get practice in speaking in front of others is to join a local amateur dramatic group.

Pyrrhus

You may find something helpful in this thread:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...pport-available-to-patients-and-carers.81954/

Some people find it easier to start with online chat groups to socialize anonymously, before trying in-person socialization. However, online chat is fundamentally a different form of communication from in-person socialization, and some people actually find it more intimidating. (Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself- I was a lurker here on Phoenix Rising for about 6 years before I made my first post!)