• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great Letter to NYTimes by Fred Freidberg

andreamarie

The NYTimes printed a letter by Fred Freidberg, who was featured in the Wellness section shortly before the WPI news broke. Because he is a psychologist and does CBT there was a lot of anger. However, he wrote a letter responding to Hillary Johnson's (?) editorial that was terrific. It's in the Oct 31 Letters to Editor. Sorry, I can't do links. He said, enough already, this is a terrible disease that is underfunded and it's time to stop the stigmatization of patients. I can't remember the name of organization he is head of.

leelaplay

NYT Fred Friedberg opinion Nov 1

thanks for the tip andreamarie. Don't know why my nyt alert didn't work and let me know about it.

here's the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/opinion/lweb01fatigue.html?scp=5&sq=friedberg&st=cse

The illness continues to be stigmatized as frank malingering or a nonserious psychiatric disorder. It is time for a thorough overhaul of public health policy toward this debilitating illness.

Fred Friedberg
Stony Brook, N.Y., Oct. 23, 2009

The writer is president of the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

if:)

Marylib

Fred Friedburg

Sorry my spelling may be wrong. I can only hold stuff in my mind for 3 seconds!

Anyway, I believe he is the current pres. of the IACFS/ME. When he talks about CBT it would not be as a cure, or how the British psychiatrists talk about it. This man is the real deal and clued in.
Marylib

K

_Kim_

Thanks andreamarie

Good catch on the NYT opinion piece. The NYT is not dropping this topic quickly. They've run more press about XMRV than any other news outfit. Me thinks we have an advocate or two over there.

A

Aftermath

These Letters

Copies of these letters might be a good addition to any letters we send to elected officials.

The fact that the New York Times is providing substantial coverage to this issue demonstrates that it is important enough for the politicians to get involved with.

The letters are good evidence that we are not crackpots.

leelaplay

Copies of these letters might be a good addition to any letters we send to elected officials.

The fact that the New York Times is providing substantial coverage to this issue demonstrates that it is important enough for the politicians to get involved with.

The letters are good evidence that we are not crackpots.

Great idea Aftermath; I concur

His opinion piece is succinct and carries some authority.

if:)

Christopher

Let's just hope that when the media exposure dies down due to there not being any new news that the research will continue to be funded and looked at as important.

andreamarie

Another article in NYT that quotes the Whittemores re Bill Reeves. Too tired, can't do link, it's under GIVINGS. Times is not letting this go.

Marylib

NYTimes

I sense that the Times is looking for coup with this -- thankfully!

Someone may have figured out that heads in the govt. agencies will roll when the truth gets out and they want to claim their share of credit. I am all for it!