• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gravity , IBS and chronic fatigue.

kangaSue

Oliver3

EDS combined with gravity can also be the cause of the abdominal vascular syndromes where GI symptoms can range from nondescript to totally debilitating, and not unusual for symptoms to be misdiagnosed as 'just IBS' initially;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5510320/
Thanks for this. I will take this to my gp

I wonder if that's why many m.e. sufferers suffer orthastic intoreance.
Obviously there are metabolic issues at play but gravity and even air pressure seem to play a part in this illness.
Like the paper I posted, they say serotonin gets messed up in the stomach by gravity etc.
I always come back to eds..it's the bedrock of this illness. Imm certain of it

JES

Would be easy to test, just shoot up people with symptoms into a space station and see if their symptoms improve. Being a long time in zero gravity seems to cause more issues than it solves though even for healthy people.

Maybe not with regards to IBS, but with regards to ME/CFS, many patients are already spending most of their day in bed. If gravity was a factor, then it should follow that bedrest would fix or at least improve our health, but it doesn't, it's only a way to manage symptoms.

Oliver3

Would be easy to test, just shoot up people with symptoms into a space station and see if their symptoms improve. Being a long time in zero gravity seems to cause more issues than it solves though even for healthy people.

Maybe not with regards to IBS, but with regards to ME/CFS, many patients are already spending most of their day in bed. If gravity was a factor, then it should follow that bedrest would fix or at least improve our health, but it doesn't, it's only a way to manage symptoms.
Isn't naviaux working with NASA.
It does improve our symptoms. We'd die if we didn't rest

Oliver3

thanks.

i also do not have this. not even close.
I've never met anyone with m.e. yet who didn't have obvious eds traits.
Still it's just my theory.
The RCCCX theory is very convincing.
Of course, there will be loads of people who probably fall under the umbrella. It's still not understood properly.
there are lots of crossover between autism, CFS, lymes, MCAS, IBS parkinson's migraines et, why?

linusbert

there are lots of crossover between autism, CFS, lymes, MCAS, IBS parkinson's migraines et, why?
my theory is , that at the heart of CFS and similiar diseases is a mitochondrial dysfunction and impairment of energy generation pathways. this affects the whole body.
so in that case EDS would for me just be another symptom like diabetes and others and not causative.

Osaca

Nice. To the list of all my food intolerances I can now add gravity on top. Looking foward to the incoming space race with all the crazy people trying to escape Earth's gravity for allergy reasons. /s

This seems a bit like a theory of a doctor who recently watched his first physics YouTube videos.

Since the theory is extremely vague about everything does this theory not apply to all animals? Do birds get ME/CFS whilst fish don't? Or is there some reason it should only apply to animals that expand more in height than in width, do all giraffes have ME/CFS? Aren't we lying flat the whole day without getting better? How does cognitive effort give us PEM? Why should others be able to "train away" their "gravitational-intolerance", but we can't do so even when lying flat?

Since, amongst other things, he suggested CBT for our "gravitational-intolerance" seems like you could test for IBS by just sending a buch of people on a VR-rollercoaster and checking for correlations?

Last edited:

Viala

I think it's more like another force similar to factors like bright light or a noisy environment, our bodies just can't handle basic stressors. Gravity definitely can be a problem long term when we move less, our muscles get weaker and that can cause spine and organs to be compressed.

Oliver3

Did you watch naviauxs little segment? I think it's interesting he's going to NASA to get funding for mitochondrial disease. And that mitochondria are the cause of so many illnesses.
I'm gonna take the spine thing out of the title as it's not the main thrust of the argument regarding gravity

Oliver3

Nice. To the list of all my food intolerances I can now add gravity on top. Looking foward to the incoming space race with all the crazy people trying to escape Earth's gravity for allergy reasons. /s

This seems a bit like a theory of a doctor who recently watched his first physics YouTube videos.

Since the theory is extremely vague about everything does this theory not apply to all animals? Do birds get ME/CFS whilst fish don't? Or is there some reason it should only apply to animals that expand more in height than in width, do all giraffes have ME/CFS? Aren't we lying flat the whole day without getting better? How does cognitive effort give us PEM? Why should others be able to "train away" their "gravitational-intolerance", but we can't do so even when lying flat?

Since, amongst other things, he suggested CBT for our "gravitational-intolerance" seems like you could test for IBS by just sending a buch of people on a VR-rollercoaster and checking for correlations?
No space makes mitochondria function fragment. When they come back to earth. They suffer something akin to CFS.
So gravity along with mitochondrial fragmentation is causing the illness.
Have you ever noticed that even different weather pressures can effect us? Why?
I'm glad they're scientists out there thinking this creatively