• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Granddaughter has surgery and I crash hard

soxfan

I know stress can cause a crash but this one I am having now is the worse ever in 10 years. My four year old granddaughter had open heart surgery on Tuesday. It was the longest four hours of my life and I was terrified for her.
Surgery went beautifully and the doctor said she did great during the whole procedure. We saw her for a few minutes afterwards but came right home. I collapsed in relief on my bed.

I was pretty wiped out but managed to make dinner ...slept like a log all night. Yesterday I woke pretty tired but not exhausted or crashed. We went to the hospital and I stayed with her for maybe 3 hours. Afterwards we came right home and into bed I went. I again slept like a log.

This morning I got up to complete depletion of energy...I felt as though the blood had been drained from me and I was a walking empty person. It was almost exhausting to take a breath. On top of that I fell down the stairs and have a huge bruise on my back.

I was unable to even visit her today because the depletion was incredibly bad. I wasn’t sleepy or tired...just complete cellular exhaustion. I rested throughout the day but it did t help much. Anyone else crash with just cellular exhaustion?

The crazy thing is my granddaughter was up and walking yesterday after having heart surgery and me...well I am crashed in bed...