• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good reaction to Cellfood- may be oxygenating the body, helping immune system; apparently boosted thyroid & now helping stroke patient

Mary

Moderator Resource
Cellfood has been around for a long time. I first tried it maybe 20 years ago, and reacted badly so I stopped it. It was probably a herx or detox reaction only I knew nothing about herxing and detoxing back then.

I recently read about Cellfood supposedly increasing oxygen in the body after another member talked about how oxygenating with an oxygen concentrator was helping her, But Cellfood is much cheaper so thought I would give it a try.

I started low - 4 to 5 drops a day the first 2 days - and got a little extra tired in the afternoon but nothing terrible. And on day 3 found that a low-grade sinus infection I'd been fighting for a couple of weeks had disappeared, my sinuses were clear. It was pretty amazing. Also I started feeling a little more energetic overall. I still crashed yesterday, but feel better today than I ordinarily would. I've been taking it about a week now and am up to 8 drops 2 x a day.

Of course I'm hoping it will give me an edge if I do get exposed to COVID-19.

It does contain deuterium sulfate, which I read is a form of sulfuric acid, which is toxic, but according to the manufacturer, it's completely safe - the deuterium sulfate splits water molecules in the body into oxygen and hydrogen. I'm not qualified to argue the chemistry here. All I know is I am doing better in a very short period of time, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive for this product. I urge whoever tries it to start low and go slow - again, it can cause herxing and detoxing.

Here's one study showing anti-oxidant properties of Cellfood in vitro: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._CELLFOOD_R_against_oxidative_damage_in_vitro

And the company website has links to some articles or studies: https://luminahealth.com/research/

It hasn't undergone rigorous clinical trials, so I know we're all guinea pigs here, but I've been a guinea pig for almost 22 years. Anyways, so far so good! Most products have not given me such a positive response in such a short time.

btw, I haven't had a detox reaction from the Cellfood. I used to have detox reactions several times a month. It's a long story, but detoxing used to be a huge issue for me, and it's not any more, due to glycine. If anyone wants more info about this, let me know.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Good thread !!!

I remember, long ago in a magical land far away where I used to live before all this crepe, I read a bit about CellFood and decided in my madcap way that it was probably all just market hype, plus there was that deuterium thing whch made me nervous, so I kept on walking.

Now, of course, I wish I'd tried it because at least I'd know how I might react before trying it again.

Thank you for those links and this thread, and I;m looking forward to more input from people less hard-headed than myself, who might already be trying CellFood and have some additional input for all of us ....

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
I remember, long ago in a magical land far away where I used to live before all this crepe, I read a bit about CellFood and decided in my madcap way that it was probably all just market hype, and kept on walking.
Yeah, and it only took me 20 years to try it again! :sluggish:

I know some products get a lot of hype they don't deserve, and I know Amazon reviews are not the most reliable. But there are so many good reviews and I know I didn't imagine what happened to me. I've learned not to get my expectations up, I generally don't, false hope is worse than no hope. So I don't think it was a placebo effect.

Well, you never know! My motto - it hasn't let me down yet! :cool:

YippeeKi YOW !!

I've slowly flogged thru the ResearchGate link, and realized I was feeling a little uncomfortable about halfway thru, like everything was just a little too rosy.

So without casting aspersions, and with the full disclosure that I'm about to order CellFood on Amazon, here are a few grains of salt:
  • The abstract appears to be copyrighted by Elsevier, Ltd, a large international publishing company that puts out a wide variety of specialty publications, many of them high-quality, pay-for-play journals. Not all of their articles, but a large proportion.
  • They state that all their articles are peer-reviewed, but I couldn;t find any references to who or what comprised that review group. Truth be told, I burned out badly and had to keep stopping and restarting, so I could easily have missed stuff.
  • I also couldn't find any attribution for the funding of the research, whether private or institutional, but again, it was a dense article, and a lot of it was in very fine print.
  • All the research was in vitro, and all the samples had been treated with substances that stabilized them or made them more receptive. Nothing wrong with that, some samples are fragile, but it does quite possibly skew results.
There's other stuff, but I'm too fried right now to cobble it together. Maybe later.

But in the meantime, more important than quibbles about how the research was done or who the peer-review group was, is the in vivo proof of whether it's worked for you or not. Everything else is footnotes.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Four weeks in (I can't believe it's been 4 weeks already!) Anyways, four weeks of using Cellfood and I still love this stuff. I do have more energy and more good days. I still crash of course and so have to be more careful now not to overdo it! (double-edged sword, right?)

Also, am getting sick less and recovering more quickly. Something hit me sort of hard on Easter, and that night I slept through the night, which I never do - but it was because I was sick, and was still weak and dragging yesterday, and this morning - voila! I have energy again and feel good. It feels too good to be true!

I have tended for years to get sick a lot, and to have low-grade sinus infections drag on for weeks, and I'm bouncing back much more quickly now.

One last thing - my lips are redder than before. When I first started taking methylfolate, my lips, which were usually quite pale, got a bit darker - and my energy had picked up. Well, now they are pretty red, and I'm sure it's due to the Cellfood -- I take it 3 times a day, 8 - 10 drops at a time.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

This sounds interesting @Mary
When I am on more steady ground re: recovering from Covid-19 AND the massive expenditure I just had re: buying huge amounts of groceries online from various places, so I don't have to go out at all....anywhere....I may try that and actually buy some!
Red lips woul be so nice too. No more need for lip pencil :D

Wishful

THE 17 CONSECUTIVE FOLLOWING POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED FROM THIS THREAD, WHICH THEY WERE TAKING OFF-TOPIC: Hydrogen Rich Water for ME/CFS - Friedberg Pilot Study

The Cellfood page is full on scientific nonsense. For example: "by utilizing the same technology used decades ago to split the atom-splits water molecules within the body by weakening the bonding electrons," they're confusing weak force with electromagnetic force. The only reason I can see for them using deuterium rather than hydrogen is marketing reasons (sounds more sciency). I can't take anything on the page seriously.

Splitting H2O into H2 and O- takes energy, and their info doesn't say where that energy is supposed to come from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Wishful - I know I can't argue the science about Cellfood. The only thing I can say is what it has done for me. I've tried literally dozens if not hundreds of things over the last 22 years trying to get my life back, and only a few of those things have made any difference. I've become really good at noticing what does what to me. And this is one product that is definitely doing something positive. I won't write it off as nonsense.

Wishful

I can't explain why cumin worked for me either, so I'm not claiming that Cellfood didn't work for you. I just pointed out that their marketing claims are scientific nonsense. Just based on their marketing, I'd place jellybeans (lots of odd chemicals) as having a better chance of being an ME treatment.

Hip

I just pointed out that their marketing claims are scientific nonsense.

The marketing blurb does not make a great deal of sense scientifically, I agree.

The Cellfood product itself seems to contain what is in effect sulfuric acid (H2SO4), except that the two hydrogen atoms are replaced by two deuterium atoms. This altered form of sulfuric acid is called deuterium sulfate, or sulfuric acid-D2.

Looking up the chemical properties of sulfuric acid-D2, I could not find anything that might distinguish it from regular sulfuric acid. Although there are a lot of chemical suppliers which sell sulfuric acid-D2, so it must have some useful purposes. I am not sure what its role in Cellfood might be.

I did find one study on Cellfood, which found it caused cancer cells to die by apoptosis.

The paper describes Cellfood as:
a unique, proprietary concentrate of 78 ionic minerals, 34 enzymes, 17 amino acids, electrolytes, and dissolved oxygen, held in a negatively-charged suspension utilizing deuterium

Hip

This skeptical article on Cellfood says:
Looking online at places that sell Cellfood oxygen drops, surprisingly has mostly good reviews from customers.

Amazon alone had an overall rating of 4.3 Out of a possible 5. Every store I found had nothing less then a 4 out of 5 rating. This is unexpected from a product that has claims that don’t make much sense.

So one of two things are happening here. Either (#1) most of these reviews are fake and are being purchased from the company itself, or (#2) this product makes people feel good but has nothing to do with the oxygen claim.

Hip

fwiw, I've been taking Cellfood for probably about 6 weeks. I did a thread about it here. It's giving me more energy overall, plus helping my immune system, which is huge, as I am almost always fighting a low grade sinus infection, and this is helping.

Interesting thread on Cellfood, I missed that thread the first time. And it has a link to research articles on Cellfood.

How quickly would you say the benefits of Cellfood kick in? Is it something that takes weeks to appear, or do you notice the benefits on the same day as taking it, or within a few days?

I know that it can be hard to tell when the benefits arise. I usually find that if you stop a treatment for a week's break and then restart it again, that's when you notice the benefits it was providing, and how quickly those benefits re-establish themselves once you restart the treatment.

Last edited:

Wishful

If the product contains "concentrate of 78 ionic minerals, 34 enzymes, 17 amino acids, electrolytes, and dissolved oxygen,", then I'm not surprised that at least one person would find benefit from it. For me, a multivitamin/mineral tablet made me feel better, but further experimentation proved that it was the iodine that was effective. It wouldn't have mattered if the iodine was simple tincture or part of a 'supercharged tritium-enhanced quantum-resonant megahealth!!!!' product.

Maybe the product contains a mineral that Mary hasn't gotten in any other product she's tried. 78 minerals would have to include ones that aren't known for human biochemistry and probably some that are known to be toxic, and others, such as rare earth elements, that haven't been studied much for biological effects. Does Europium, for example, block a chemical pathway involved in ME? My guess is that no one knows, because no one has bothered to check.

Mary

Moderator Resource
So one of two things are happening here. Either (#1) most of these reviews are fake and are being purchased from the company itself, or (#2) this product makes people feel good but has nothing to do with the oxygen claim.
There's a third possibility, and that is that it actually is helping to oxygenate the body, even though the author of this article doesn't have a clue how it could work.

@Wishful - I have tried cumin a couple of times based on your experience, but it never did anything noticeable to help me with PEM unfortunately. But I have no doubt it's helping you with PEM. I think Cellfood is doing more than supplying me with a mineral I might be deficient in. I've taken mineral complexes and never had one help me like this. Also, as I've noted, my lips have more color since starting the Cellfood. They are noticeably redder, and it corresponds to my increased energy and also getting sick less.

How quickly would you say the benefits of Cellfood kick in? Is it something that takes weeks to appear, or do you notice the benefits on the same day as taking it, or within a few days?
I noticed benefits within 3 days. A lingering sinus infection I had not been able to shake disappeared 3 days after starting the Cellfood. And my energy picked up. I know part of the energy increase was due to shaking the infection, but I had more energy than I normally would have, and it keeps coming back. I still do start to come down with a sinus infection but it keeps getting nipped in the bud, instead of lingering for a week or more. And energy overall is still better. Also, my lips are redder than normal. When I first started taking methylfolate 10 years ago, I noticed my lips got more color. They'd been pretty pale. Well, with the Cellfood, they have even more color.

Hip

If the product contains "concentrate of 78 ionic minerals, 34 enzymes, 17 amino acids, electrolytes, and dissolved oxygen,", then I'm not surprised that at least one person would find benefit from it.

I can't see how those minerals, enzymes and amino acids themselves could have benefit, as the dose of Cellfood is 8 drops of the liquid per day, and the Cellfood label states the total content of those 8 drops amounts to just 300 mg. Well you are not going to get any decent doses of minerals, enzymes and amino acids in that small 300 mg amount.

And it does not even mention these minerals, enzymes and amino acids in the proprietary blend on the label.

It is a pity that the marketing blurb on this product is unscientific, because it would be nice to be given some indication of how it works.

My hunch is that there might just be some health benefits from the highly diluted sulfuric acid present in Cellfood. Highly dilute sulfuric acid is an approved food acidifying agent in Europe (E number is E513), so it would be safe to consume (but it has to be very dilute, as of course strong sulfuric acid burns flesh).

The FDA rule on proprietary blends is that the ingredients must be listed with the largest ingredients placed first. So the fact that sulfuric acid-D2 (aka: deuterium sulfate) is listed at the top of the list, just after water, indicates it is the ingredient that is present in the highest quantity in this proprietary blend:

Cellfood Ingredients Label
Cellfood-SF.png

Source: here

Since highly dilute sulfuric acid would be very cheap to sell, maybe the manufacture of Cellfood has placed all this other stuff into their product, to distract attention, and try to make people believe that it is some exotic formula, which then allows them to charge a premium price, and more importantly stops other manufacturers from copying the formula.

That would also explain why they have a vague and pseudoscience-y product blurb, again to distract attention from the fact that Cellfood's active ingredient might just be plain old dilute sulfuric acid.

And another way of disguising the fact that dilute sulfuric acid may be the active ingredient is not to use regular sulfuric acid, but the deuterium form of sulfuric acid, namely sulfuric acid-D2.

Last edited:

Wishful

I think it's unlikely that the minerals in Cellfood are responsible for the effect, especially since the label doesn't seem to mention minerals. Maybe they found a list of elements that had been detected in seawater, and feel like they can claim that the seaweed contains them all. If the product did contain significant amounts of 78 metals, then it would be possible that one of them would affect a chemical pathway in ME somehow. I doubt that anyone could say 100% for sure that one of those rarely encountered elements couldn't bind to an RNA molecule or a binding site on a cell, affecting its function.

Your hunch about it effectively being plain dilute sulfuric acid sounds much more likely to be the cause of any biological effect.

I've taken mineral complexes and never had one help me like this.

Yes, but did those mineral complexes provide significant amounts of Thulium, Thallium or Ytterbium? I think there are a lot of metals that supplement producers would try to avoid including, since they might be in the category of 'haven't been tested for long-term toxicity, so the maximum allowable amount is <tiny trace>, and adding it intentionally might open you up for lawsuits." That's moot, since Cellfood probably doesn't actually contain '78 ionic minerals' except for the occasional stray atom, which also applies to regular air and food and water.

BTW, what the heck is 'catalyst altered water' supposed to be? Why would fossilized organics be superior for health?