• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good Article by Journalist with ME! How to (almost) Completely Disappear.

Countrygirl

https://medium.com/@jostashko/how-to-almost-disappear-completely-310935cda86c

Joseph StashkoFollow
Journalist: jostashko@gmail.com
Jun 20
How to (almost) disappear completely

1*fVyq7bFqwPf1AEvKNbm6mg.jpeg

Credit: sprklg / Flickr
For the past few months, I’ve had a recurring dream. I’m running. Not from anything, and there’s nothing hostile about where I am, it’s actually very close to where I live. I run and run, and eventually stretch out my arms either side of me, when a gust of wind picks me up and pulls me into the air. I’m above the pocket of south London where I was born, flying effortlessly. The sun is shining. Then the wind drops. I begin to fall. I am awake.

What I find most arresting about the dream is not so much the flying, it’s the running. It’s something I’ve been unable to do in over 18 months. I became disabled overnight after I came down with a fever and viral symptoms in November 2016 from which I never recovered. I tried to drag myself into work, noticing small but telling signs that indicated that something was wrong. Stairs required a concerted effort and it felt like the world around my desk was moving slower than it had before, as if it was underwater and I was the only one who couldn’t swim. I developed a permanent sore throat and an overwhelming need to sit down on the train during my morning commute.

After two months of this, I woke up after what I know now to be my last day of work and my body seemed to collapse. Everything felt heavy, as if I’d been beaten up in my sleep.