• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gluthianone/NAC B12 issues, what about ALA?

I'm treating myself for severe b12 deficiency (separate to my CFS, mostly neurological symptoms started due to nitrous oxide use). I've been self injecting for months, and in recent months finally started seeing improvement. However, last week I started taking NAC (for my CFS), and I noticed my symptoms coming back/worsening. Three days in I figured out that NAC can exacerbate B12 deficiency due to the gluthianone potentially inactivating the cobalamin.

This makes me wonder, what about Alpha Lipoic Acid? Wouldn't it also be a problem since it enhances production of gluthianone?

Pyrrhus

Three days in I figured out that NAC can exacerbate B12 deficiency due to the gluthianone potentially inactivating the cobalamin.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's certainly not accurate. Glutathione is required by the body in order to utilize B12. If you're low in glutathione, then you can have problems utilizing B12 - no matter how much B12 might be circulating in the blood, the B12 simply can't be properly utilized by the cells if the cells are deficient in glutathione.

For more information, see this discussion:

The plausibility of NAC inducing b12 deficiency or 'methyl-trap'
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...inducing-b12-deficiency-or-methyl-trap.79380/

Hope this helps.

I'm treating myself for severe b12 deficiency (separate to my CFS, mostly neurological symptoms started due to nitrous oxide use). I've been self injecting for months, and in recent months finally started seeing improvement. However, last week I started taking NAC (for my CFS), and I noticed my symptoms coming back/worsening. Three days in I figured out that NAC can exacerbate B12 deficiency due to the gluthianone potentially inactivating the cobalamin.

This makes me wonder, what about Alpha Lipoic Acid? Wouldn't it also be a problem since it enhances production of gluthianone?

I read this article recently. Thought it was interesting, but don't have an opinion towards it yet.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.substack...yl-groups?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=emai