• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione confusion

Centime Tara

I’ve just started taking Glutathione supplements because of recommendations from various CFS doctors (found on this site). Now I’m reading that the oral supplements don’t work well or can even be dangerous because Glutathione can interfere with absorption of B12. Is there any consensus here? Has G helped you, and if so, what form do you take?

Pyrrhus

Oral glutathione is thought to be inadvisable because the digestive enzymes would quickly break down the glutathione into amino acids.

This is why some people prefer to use the individual amino acids instead, especially N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), to boost cellular glutathione levels. (Cysteine is an important amino acid for glutathione production. Glycine may also be helpful.)

Cellular glutathione is important to combat oxidative stress. Glutathione is also required in order for the cell to convert B12 from one form to another.

Hope this helps.

LINE

I agree with Pyrrhus, oral gsh never helped but liposomal was very effective for me. Recommendations are 1 teaspoon but that was too much at first, 1/4 teaspoon is what I used and built up over time. GSH will stimulate the liver to dump toxins, I used vacuums to mop those up (Pascalite clay, bulk charcoal, rLipoic acid) which worked very well. Go slow.

The body is a very dynamic system, which means there are always pushes and pulls and you have to find equilibrium. Gsh could interfere with say b12 but high doses of b12 can interfere with b2 and low doses of b2 can trigger a b6 problem (you get the point).

It has always been a best practice to supply all the nutrients rather than focusing on a singular idea (which is a popular but erroneous IMO).