• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting the shakes

• Thread starter thefreeprisoner
  • Start date
T

thefreeprisoner

I am wondering if this is just me.

When I have used up my energy bank for the day, my body seems to tell me by giving me the shakes. Like when you're trying to hold up a book for a long time and your muscle is ready to give out, it starts trembling - I get that all over but particularly my upper body.

Does anybody else get this?

Rachel xx

Mithriel

I don't know if it is the same thing, but I am very disabled by abnormal movements, intention tremor and paroxsysmal dyskinesia. It seems to be a rare complication of ME. I also have dystonia.

Maybe more like you describe sometimes I just quiver. I think it is to do with lactic acid build up.

Twitching of the muscles is very common, sometimes you can watch stomach muscles bouncing :Retro smile:

I use baclofen which is a muscle relaxant. It has made my movements more manageable, and gabapentin has cut them down too.

Mithriel

T

thefreeprisoner

Oh that's really made me feel better, reading your post - thank you.
I see that what I call 'the shakes' are part of the clinical definition for 'ataxia' which I see everywhere as a physical symptom of ME.
I am not going mad... hurrah!

Rachel xx