• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting shopping delivered during the Coronavirus in uk

tinacarroll27

Hi, all I have been away from the forum for a while due to a massive crash that has taken me ages to recover from! At the moment I am housebound but I am up an around again in the house which is great! My big problem now is getting shopping during this coronavirus situation! When I was at my worst a friend was doing my shopping for me but they have moved recently and now live a long way from me! I am now on my own (feeling better but still housebound) and now rely on my food been delivered by the supermarket but I can't get to the shops and can't walk far! There are just no delivery slots with the supermarkets so I am struggling to get it delivered!! How are others who are housebound coping with this situation in the UK?

Hip

I am looking at this for my parents in the 80s, who both have heart conditions, and so are a vulnerable group for coronavirus. I want to get home delivery to avoid them going to the shops, but as you say, all the delivery slots in UK supermarkets seem to be booked up for weeks in advance.

There needs to be an official priority system set up for coronavirus-vulnerable people as well as other housebound people, with some sort of ID card for vulnerable individuals, which they could use at online supermarkets to get priority delivery.

Perhaps it is the panic buyers who are overloading the home delivery service. I read that UK supermarkets have now temporarily banned new accounts being set up, in an attempt to stop panic buyers from ordering online.

tinacarroll27

I am looking at this for my parents in the 80s, who both have heart conditions, and so are a vulnerable group for coronavirus. I want to get home delivery to avoid them going to the shops, but as you say, all the delivery slots in UK supermarkets seem to be booked up for weeks in advance.

There needs to be an official priority system set up for coronavirus-vulnerable people as well as other housebound people, with some sort of ID card for vulnerable individuals, which they could use at online supermarkets to get priority delivery.

Perhaps it is the panic buyers who are overloading the home delivery service. I read that UK supermarkets have now temporarily banned new accounts being set up, in an attempt to stop panic buyers from ordering online.
I agree! They need some sort of priority system for the vulnerable for priority delivery! Yes, I think it is panic buying! The situation is a mess!! The government and supermarkets need to sort it out before vulnerable people die of starvation! I hope your parents can get their shopping sorted soon.

Revel

Hi @tinacarroll27. I don't know where in the UK you reside but there are numerous self isolation help groups springing up across the country. You could try an online search for something in your area if you cannot get a supermarket home delivery slot.

The local church, near where my elderly mother lives, has formed such a group and they have been fantastic. I am housebound and unable to physically do much for my Mum, but was able to phone the group last week when she needed an urgent prescription picking up (rather than having to wait days for the pharmacy delivery service). The group sorted it the same day. They have also volunteered to do her grocery shopping, if l am unable to arrange it

ETA: if you are still living in the Leeds area, @tinacarroll27, you could try contacting "We care Leeds" on their Facebook page..

Last edited:

tinacarroll27

Hi @tinacarroll27. I don't know where in the UK you reside but there are numerous self isolation help groups springing up across the country. You could try an online search for something in your area if you cannot get a supermarket home delivery slot.

The local church, near where my elderly mother lives, has formed such a group and they have been fantastic. I am housebound and unable to physically do much for my Mum, but was able to phone the group last week when she needed an urgent prescription picking up (rather than having to wait days for the pharmacy delivery service). The group sorted it the same day. They have also volunteered to do her grocery shopping, if l am unable to arrange it.
Thanks, I will look into it!

bertiedog

am looking at this for my parents in the 80s, who both have heart conditions, and so are a vulnerable group for coronavirus. I want to get home delivery to avoid them going to the shops, but as you say, all the delivery slots in UK supermarkets seem to be booked up for weeks in advance.

Sainsburys have set up a special phone line for vulnerable people and I think they are taking on extra staff for deliveries. My friend got a slot within 24 hours here in east Kent.

Hope this helps, details are on Sainsburys website.

Pam

AnnieT

The government said the other day that local councils were going to release a phone number that vulnerable people could use to get prescription and shopping delivered on a regular basis. Worth looking out for this or calling your council.

My husband is a key worker and so still out and about, but he's just buying a small shop every few days. I'm thinking of looking into getting a fruit and veg box delivered.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm having the same issues in the US. Many of the places that deliver are booked weeks out. I've been making due mostly with amazon orders of dried goods. Walmart is sold out of some of the items that we usually use so that isn't helping.

I'm hoping things will start to improve otherwise, I may have to ask my sister to stay with my mom so I can try to go out but where I will get the energy from, I do not know as I am also in the middle of one of my worst crashes.

(I can't ask my sister to shop for us because they eat a totally different diet and she would grab things she thinks are okay but aren't. Even one brand of almond milk to the next has some things we cannot have.) :(

Maybe amazon uk will have some of the things you need. Hope that helps a little bit.

Last edited:

rainbowbluebells

Sainsburys have set up a special phone line for vulnerable people and I think they are taking on extra staff for deliveries. My friend got a slot within 24 hours here in east Kent.

Hope this helps, details are on Sainsburys website.

Pam
This is so helpful. Thank you! I’ve passed this info on to friends and family.