• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting Over Post-Vaccination Flare

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Hi Friends,

I got the Moderna vax second shot 17 days ago and I am still feeling a post-vaccination flare. I had been completely recovered and working full-time and exercising hard for past 3 years. I had nearly forgotten about CFS. The vaccine has temporarily thrown me back into a world of cognitive difficulties and PEM. :(:meh: I would assume it is from mast cell activation.

I am taking:
  • HistaAid by Quicksilver Scientific (liposomal C, quercetin, luteolin) to stabilize mast cells
  • H1 & H2 Antihistamines (levocertrizine and famotidine)
  • NAC
  • Riboflavin
  • PEA (palmitoylethanolamide) due to research I've read saying it can stabilize mast cells
I started taking these 4 days after the vax. I had recovered and wasn't even reading or thinking about CFS/ME anymore, so I didn't know to start before.

Does anyone have any experience recovering from a post-vaccine flare? Supplements or tips to share?

Thank you kindly and bless you!

Last edited:

Crux

Glad you're better,

Some antihistamines are also anticholinergic. I found that choline helped my PEM greatly.

Copper glycinate is the most effective antihistamine I've ever taken.

I had an adrenal crisis after my second moderna shot. I had to stress dose hydrocortisone and salt tablets. Took a few days.

Sherpa

Update at day 27: taking Perimine, Chinese skullcap, HistaAid (by Quicksilver, as a mast-cell stabilizer) and LDN and the inflammation is lowering further still.

I feel like the vax brought my inflammation way, way up. It has gradually dropped each week with interventions. It is not completely down yet but it is much lower and I seem to be coming back to normal.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Update at day 32: Added NAD+ booster (NAD3 by HPN) and NOW Resveratrol, 200mg. Adding these sirtuin activators reduced the chronic fatigue and PEM feelings. I went to the gym and lifted weights (lightly) yesterday, then cleaned my house for 3 hours and seemed to be fine.

The strategy of mast cell stablizers (C, quercetin, luteolin) and Th2 anti-inflammatories (Perimine & baicalin) to get inflammation down and then NAD+ / sirtuin activators to boost the energy seems to be helping!

Sherpa

Update at day 38: I upped my LDN to 4.5mg and felt an immediate improvement. Also started taking pantethine (B5) as a Prednisone alternative to help control cytokine flaring.

In the comments on this Experts on the Vaccine thread on Health Rising, user Brendan Rob says:

And importantly if someone is still flaring beyond 2 weeks, talk to your doctor about a course of a glucocorticoid steroid to reduce the cytokine activity. There was a 2012 flu vaccine study that showed ME/CFS patients with abnormal cytokine activity well after healthy controls, at 28 days after. I remember reading somewhere that one patient in that study was still worsening when the trial finished, because the authors never expected that Cytokine activity would continue so long.

Meaning the best thing I can think of to dampen down that unusual cytokine activity, is glucocorticoids. As may prevent a flare or permanent worsening

Dr. Lam says that pantethine is a good substitute for Prednisone.

The B5 at high doses (up to 1200mg a day) worked really well for me back in 2011 when I had my most severe crash. My theory is that I have been under so much stress in 2021 that an adrenal booster like B5 can help me make natural cortisone to help control and regulate the post-vax inflammation.

Last edited:

GlassCannonLife

I survived it after 5 months of disability. Feeling good again and building my strength up.

I am now studying to become a certified health and wellness coach and starting a full-time job in August!

That's great to hear.

How did you reach remission in the first place? I'm sorry I don't recall if I may have seen it somewhere already