• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genomind Test

Lieselotte

Hi All,

I've been having a tough time for a while and have been very depressed. I went to a psychiatrist who convinced me to get a genetic test called Genomind which is supposed to help tailor any psychiatric meds to your specific genetic makeup.

Sound cool? Well, it's not. At least not worth the $300+ out of pocket. Just do it yourself with your 23&Me etc. I ended up not taking any meds, I'm looking into natural methods (meditating more, microdosing, etc.) instead.

I'm going to list the genes and findings here to help if anyone is looking into this test or if you're just curious. When I was looking into it, I couldn't find a list like this online.

SLC6A4: Serotonin Transporter. Lower activity in S or L(G) allele carriers here means that SSRI/SNRI doses may need to be greater as these drugs target this gene. Greater risk of gastrointestinal side effects in Caucasians with SSRIs
MTHFR: C677T and A1298C (All of us here are aware of these)
MC4R: Melanocortin 4 Receptor: risk of weight gain and metabolic changes with 2nd gen antipsychotics
HRT2A: Serotonin Receptor 2A, target for several serotonergic drugs. Polymorphisms associated with greater risk of side effects
BDNF: Supposedly if there are abnormalities here, ketamine treatment will work for you.
COMT: (Also, most of us here are aware of this) responsible for breakdown of dopamine. Abnormalities here would lean you toward certain drugs, in my case this gave no directional help
HLA-B*15:02 and HLA-A *31:01 : HLA gene that associated with increased risk of skin reactions to carbamazeprine, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin/fosphenytoin
CYP Genes below: Associated with drug metabolism. If you have snps here, drugs will stay in your system longer, so a lower dose may be warranted
  • CYP2C6, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP1A2, CYP3A4, CYP3A5
UGT2B15: Liver enzyme that can result in lower metabolism of drugs