• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genome-epigenome interactions associated with ME/CFS

Murph

:)
Epigenetics. 2018 Dec 5:1-17. doi: 10.1080/15592294.2018.1549769. [Epub ahead of print]
Genome-epigenome interactions associated with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Herrera S1,2, de Vega WC1,2,3, Ashbrook D1,2, Vernon SD4, McGowan PO1,2,3,5,6.
Author information
a Centre for Environmental Epigenetics and Development , University of Toronto , Scarborough , Canada.
b Department of Biological Sciences , University of Toronto , Scarborough , Canada.
c Department of Cell and Systems Biology , University of Toronto , Toronto , Canada.
d Solve ME/CFS Initiative , Los Angeles , CA , USA.
e Department of Psychology , University of Toronto , Toronto , Canada.
f Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine , University of Toronto , Toronto , Canada.
Abstract
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex disease of unknown etiology. Multiple studies point to disruptions in immune functioning in ME/CFS patients as well as specific genetic polymorphisms and alterations of the DNA methylome in lymphocytes. However, potential interactions between DNA methylation and genetic background in relation to ME/CFS have not been examined. In this study we explored this association by characterizing the epigenetic (~480 thousand CpG loci) and genetic (~4.3 million SNPs) variation between cohorts of ME/CFS patients and healthy controls. We found significant associations of DNA methylation states in T-lymphocytes at several CpG loci and regions with ME/CFS phenotype. These methylation anomalies are in close proximity to genes involved with immune function and cellular metabolism. Finally, we found significant correlations of genotypes with methylation modifications associated with ME/CFS. The findings from this study highlight the role of epigenetic and genetic interactions in complex diseases, and suggest several genetic and epigenetic elements potentially involved in the mechanisms of disease in ME/CFS.

KEYWORDS:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; DNA methylation; Myalgic Encephalomyelitis; genotype; mQTL

PMID:
DOI:
10.1080/15592294.2018.1549769

wigglethemouse

FYI - here is a link to this teams previous paper

Epigenetic modifications and glucocorticoid sensitivity in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
https://bmcmedgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12920-017-0248-3

Nancy Klimas also reported on epigentics this year

Identification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-associated DNA methylation patterns
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0201066

I'm not sure how the three papers are related (no brain cells left to read and think today) so would be interested to hear someones thoughts....