• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gastric Issues related to CFS/EBV

Hello,

I have had CFS for 33 years with classic sysmptoms, - lymph swelling and severe pain, sore throat, love grade fever etc. and have managed Ok, however for the past few weeks I have been having severe gastric issues (no meds except thyroid and small amounts of xanax occassionally for sleeping and a ibuprofen of about 400 milligrams a day with food.

I have terrible nausea and vomit every other day without warning and have severe diarreha every day plus a constant feeling of fullness. I have no appetite and can't eat execept for toast I eat with the ibuprofen (one piece). This has continued for nearly 8 weeks.

I have been doing reseach and it seems that EPV can cause these issues (which I alwasy test positively but its unclear whether its historical antibodies) but it is very rare, does anyone have thoughts or experience with this? I am very shaky and weak and have a difficult dressing myself and doing any sort of other activities that I could do before.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Hip

Gastritis might be one condition to consider:

Symptoms of gastritis vary among individuals, and in many people there are no symptoms. However, the most common symptoms include:

Nausea or recurrent upset stomach
Abdominal bloating
Abdominal pain
Vomiting
Indigestion
Burning or gnawing feeling in the stomach between meals or at night
Hiccups
Loss of appetite
Vomiting blood or coffee ground-like material
Black, tarry stools
Source: here

ljimbo423

ibuprofen of about 400 milligrams a day with food.

Ibuprofen is very hard on the gut lining and has been linked to causing inflammation of the gut. Since dysbiosis and increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut) in ME/CFS have been found in many studies.

The 400 mg a day of Ibuprofen could have made worse, an already bad gut. Causing or contributing to your nausea, vomiting, etc.

Pyrrhus

I know it's really hard to get good nutrients when your gastrointestinal system is not cooperating. I'm sorry you've found yourself in this situation.

Maybe you could try some nutritious food along with an anti-emetic to reduce the nausea and prevent or slow the vomiting? As an anti-emetic, some people use medical marijuana to reduce the nausea and boost appetite.

As long as you can keep the food down for 4-6 hours without vomiting, that should give enough time for some of the nutrients to be absorbed through the stomach lining. You may even add in a little bit of glutamine, which is used by the gastrointestinal system to heal itself.

Best of luck.

Tammy

I agree with Timaca..................8 weeks of severe diarrhea with nausea and vomiting warrants seeing a Dr./ preferably gastroenterologist or whoever you can see the earliest.

Last edited:
Thank you alll for your replies. I did see a GI who ran a number of tests including stool and blood tests, everything came back normal. How can this be? How is vomiting every othere day, daily dirreaha, constant nausea, inablility to eat weakness for 4 months etc be normal?!?

Does anyone have any insights into this? Or suggestions for how to proceed as I know my doctor has written me off because of the lab results. I do have a functional doctor that I see who is sympathetic but not really able to help much.

Thanks for any help

It has been a while since you posted, I wonder if you found any solution to your problem. Did your doctor perform gastroscopy and colonoscopy?