• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Formication/itching/red spots/bugs

judyinthesky

Hello,

I have a new symptom which is bugs crawling under my skin, it can change places and be everywhere from under my skalp to under my toenail.
I have burning mouth syndrome as well which is considered a neuropathy (not by all though! but it also feels internal more than external to me), have ideopathic severe pancreatic insufficiency and a fatigue syndrome, and lost of weird neurological symptoms.

I wonder whether there are people with formification on here and whether you found any solution to this?

I found a very old thread but I am not sure it is what I have.

I also have red spots on my skin, and when they show up one knows, because I get itching on that very spot before.
When I have much bug crawling, it can be more of such spots as well.

I have taken my vitamins and apart from a bit high B12, nothing was found. This is normal again now but the itching/formification (I have found this in relation to hormonal changes) is still the same.

I wonder whether people who have this consider it a neuropathy, or whatever you consider it to be?

Tammy

So, it sounds like something is attacking or bothering your nerve endings. You mentioned burning mouth, and itchy skin before red spots show up. A herpetic virus such as shingles can induce these symptoms as well as neuropathy. (Possibility). Shingles doesn't always show up with the "classical" symptoms.

Pyrrhus

I wonder whether people who have this consider it a neuropathy,

Formication is a neurological symptom, affecting the nerves that sense itch and touch. But if you mention to a neurologist that you feel "bugs crawling", they may suggest it is a psychiatric condition, since the field of neurology does not understand formication that well. But I would consider it a type of neuropathy.

Hope this helps.

judyinthesky

@Tammy thank you - I had shingles one time a longer while ago. I have active herpes but I also rad that that would be normal if one had a fever blister, and that that can stay high for a while.
My burning mouth has been with me for a long time, after thyroidectomy it startet. It is neurological in nature, very unpredictable, to me.

My father has type 2 diabetes and neuropathy with it. But not of these kinds, more classic stuff.

@Pyrrhus sounds logical. Yes I mentioned it to my doctor and he looked at my belly and said I have dry skin. Dry skin my ass for real. Feel it and you know the difference. :) It is interesting that burning mouth syndrome is also not understood well, but thought to be a neuropathy... with not much helping.
I could try popping some Klonopin when it gets too much.
The issue is with neuropathy though... if it is progressive, what can I do to stop it or at least make it less severe. I do not find much useful stuff on the formification issue. (should do more research, I have also not known the term for long now).

@Rufous McKinney interesting, does it also move around randomly in your body?

Rufous McKinney

@Rufous McKinney interesting, does it also move around randomly in your body?

yes...often.

I also have- certain locations which tend to generate the sudden onset of a nerve spasm...that feels like I'm being stabbed or impaled...sometimes I think its probably a location where, previously, I was stabbed or impaled.

I do alot of chinese traditional herbs. (well, on. a break at the moment)..some of this is wind. I also have real itchy areas that- there is no rash, but itch itch. And thats variable, episodic.

So most likely it is a neurological reaction...mistaken type.

Rufous McKinney

did you treat it somehow?

well, I take chinese herbs....a mix which attempts to address a mere- subset of- the List of Issues.

The main focus is on Yin deficiency- which can respond and do better when I take the herbs. These aren't really cures...or aren't cures in the my method of deployment.

The dry skin sure does not help the situation. I'm in a very dry conditoin overall- Sjorgrnes probably, MCAS probably, me really addressing it- seems to not really happen.

If you can find a trained chinese herbalist, they can customize a mix just for your needs. The digestive herbs really help me, I'm taking some lung moistening right now- COVID, dry. Its hard to find a really good herbalists as its incredibly complicated and the hardest- aspect of chinese medicine (acupuncture is actually easy).

You near anywhere with an acupuncture college? Sometimes you can find...a good practioner affiliated there.

They should have- 100s of herbs in boxes and containers stinking up the office. That is what your looking for. They should be tested, labeled...Plum Flower...wholesaler- a couple of others in the US do good testing.

judyinthesky

I'm still having the formication feeling
It went away before I got the vaccine
Now it's back again three months later after me becoming severe
It still mostly starts at night and sometimes even earlier
Antihistamines don't touch it much apart from me potentially sleeping through it

I have many things in my body that seem to be neuropathy, but if they come and go?
@Pyrrhus any idea how to find out if it is neuropathy?
By the way my spinal fluid was tested for neuro autoantibodies and it was clear

Pyrrhus

I'm still having the formication feeling
I have many things in my body that seem to be neuropathy, but if they come and go?
@Pyrrhus any idea how to find out if it is neuropathy?

I'm so sorry to hear that the formication has come back!
I hear it can be a very disturbing neurological symptom.

Remember that the word "neuropathy" is quite a general concept.
It can refer to dysfunctional nerves, or to the death of nerves.

When "neuropathy" refers to dysfunctional nerves, then the symptoms may come and go.
When "neuropathy" refers to dead nerves, then the symptoms may be constant and unchanging.

Since formication is a known neurological symptom, I must assume that it is caused by some form of neuropathy, although I don't know what might be causing the dysfunctional nerves.

Is it equally present on both the right and left sides of the body?

judyinthesky

I'm so sorry to hear that the formication has come back!
I hear it can be a very disturbing neurological symptom.

Remember that the word "neuropathy" is quite a general concept.
It can refer to dysfunctional nerves, or to the death of nerves.

When "neuropathy" refers to dysfunctional nerves, then the symptoms may come and go.
When "neuropathy" refers to dead nerves, then the symptoms may be constant and unchanging.

Since formication is a known neurological symptom, I must assume that it is caused by some form of neuropathy, although I don't know what might be causing the dysfunctional nerves.

Is it equally present on both the right and left sides of the body?

It wanders. Can be stinging, burning.
And also wanders everywhere yes
Accompanied with psychological stress, obviously
But more as effect of it
The only thing that makes me sleep when it occurs is a combination of Clonazepam/Klonopin and double antihistamines

It seems to come and go with me indeed

Woof!

Does applying cold or heat help (either physically or psychologically)? Since hot packs (microwaved) help soooo many of my various symptoms (unless it's a migraine, in which case I have heat on my neck and cold on my forehead), I always try to reach for non-drug things first (or, if it's a day that I need to reach for gut-grumbling meds, I use heat, too, if it's gonna help).

judyinthesky

Does applying cold or heat help (either physically or psychologically)? Since hot packs (microwaved) help soooo many of my various symptoms (unless it's a migraine, in which case I have heat on my neck and cold on my forehead), I always try to reach for non-drug things first (or, if it's a day that I need to reach for gut-grumbling meds, I use heat, too, if it's gonna help).

I would have to do that constantly
But as I had a migraine yesterday, I did the same cold and hot treatment, and it didn't help.

I need lots of drugs to survive lol
The bugs I treat with valerian, Clonazepam, antihistamines, Ketotifen, and a natural sleeping pill.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I would have to do that constantly
But as I had a migraine yesterday, I did the same cold and hot treatment, and it didn't help.

I need lots of drugs to survive lol
The bugs I treat with valerian, Clonazepam, antihistamines, Ketotifen, and a natural sleeping pill.
Have you taken any drugs before it started? If yes, which drugs?

Martin aka paused||M.E.

It started before my vaccine fuckup. At that time I was only on thyroid medication, Ketotifen, and my pancreas enzymes.
Then you might want to look at the side-effects of these drugs. Many drugs can induce forms of neuropathy (I suffered for over one year from ant run in arms, legs and feet after ciprofloxacin).

judyinthesky

Then you might want to look at the side-effects of these drugs. Many drugs can induce forms of neuropathy (I suffered for over one year from ant run in arms, legs and feet after ciprofloxacin).

I can't stop taking them though because I have no thyroid and a non working pancreas. And I've been on them for years. So I doubt that.
Ketotifen if so eases it as a mast cell stabiliser and antihistamine.
To me the neuropathy hypothesis makes more sense.

Learner1

I can't stop taking them though because I have no thyroid and a non working pancreas. And I've been on them for years. So I doubt that.
Ketotifen if so eases it as a mast cell stabiliser and antihistamine.
To me the neuropathy hypothesis makes more sense.
Have you looked into nutrient deficiencies? In particular, B6, B2, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, glutathione, selenium and cysteine?

judyinthesky

Have you looked into nutrient deficiencies? In particular, B6, B2, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, glutathione, selenium and cysteine?

Yes I am actually taking all those apart from ALA because it gives me bad reflux and the cysteine.

I think the fact that it's happening when I go to bed is telling. It is almost like it comes on when I relax - like some adrenaline in ME