• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For Viral Problems, Consider Elderberries

Wishful

My personal experience with elderberries is that they're very effective at doing something with my immune system. Earlier, it used to make my ME symptoms worse, which I assumed was from extra cytokine production. Recently, my symptoms got worse, which I think was due to an asymptomatic viral infection--possibly Covid, but I didn't bother getting tested. Along with feeling worse overall, high protein (high TRP) food made me feel even worse, with severe brainfog. I assume that was from elevated cytokines (IFN-g) inducing more IDO in brain cells, converting TRP to neurotoxic kynurenines.

Since I knew that elderberries seemed to stimulate my immune system, I bought some elderberry gummies (with VitC and zinc). The zinc taste became unbearable after three days, and I was still reacting to protein the day after I stopped the gummies. However, two days later, I was feeling much better, and I no longer reacted to meat or peanut butter or milk. I think that the elderberries helped my immune system eliminate the virus, or helped it return to 'normal' after the virus was gone.

I am by no means guaranteeing that elderberries will fix your viral problems, but if you think you have a lingering viral infection or persistent immune system problems from a virus, and you're desperate to try anything that *might* help, I suggest giving elderberries a try. The first product I came across was $20, and it seems that it was money well-spent. I just enjoyed a wonderful 3 hr hike through the woods, and all I got from that was normal, healthy fatigue.

So, I'm really happy that I gave elderberries a try. :thumbsup: Maybe it will help someone else.

Also, if I needed more elderberry stuff, I'd try Sambuca made with elderberries (there are versions with different flavourings, so check the label). I'd avoid ones with supplemental zinc.

Wolfcub

I'm glad you are feeling much better @Wishful :) And that the elderberries helped you.

Yes, they are well known as an effective herbal remedy for viral infections. They grow in profusion in late summer where I live, and I always forget to make a cordial out of them. I had forgotten them, so thank you for the reminder!

I am so glad you made it for a good 3- mile walk. A man after my own heart ! ;) I love nothing better than a 2 hour walk in a huge pine woods nearby. Rare nowadays. I do still get up there, but go for the shorter circuit now sadly!
I bet you have snow too, right now?

I fought Covid with frequent dose herbal remedies and quite successfully I think (considering this is an enemy we haven't seen before)
Elderberries are good to have on hand with a number of other herbals as a "just-in-case" stock. And any herbal tinctures would last for years.

Tincture recipe: 250grams (about 8oz) dry herb/berries (or twice the weight of fresh herb/berries) to one liter of at least 30 proof vodka. Put in large tightly screwed lid glass jar in dark warm-ish place for 3 weeks -6weeks and shake every day, then put through a fruit press, strain and bottle. They will be potent for many years in dark bottles in a cool dark place.
(For smaller amounts, divide the above recipe)

Last edited:

Wishful

I bet you have snow too, right now?

We recently had a cm or so of fresh snow, but on that walk a few days ago, it was practically snowless. Very odd for this time of year here. Other Decembers I might be snowshoeing on top of several feet of snow. The moderately cold air and the easy walking conditions sure make it easier to go for long hikes.

I hadn't been walking much before this, compared to several years ago. I just didn't feel the outdoors calling to me. Post-elderberries, I have been hearing the call, and answering with a brisk stride. It feels like that year that I discovered LDN, and went from short trudges to brisk multi-hr hikes.

BTW, the drier bits of land here tend to have pine; the moister bits have white spruce, and the soggy boggy areas have spindly black spruce and tamarack. The latter areas are covered in hummocky moss, which is like walking on piles of pillows, with buckets of water hiding among them. Very tiring to walk on.

Rufous McKinney

I get the elderberry syrup from Swansons..I think there may be a hint of vinegar in it- thats another item that might show up and might create some aversion (like the zinc, I have a bottle of old elderberry zink lozenges and can't stand them and they just sit there collecting dust on the shelf.)

I don't take it often. Its great when my throat is sore. Very soothing.

I had not considered using it as an antiviral. Its just our ongoing puzzle- is Eppstein barr hiding here someplace, or did it leave long ago.