• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For the ladies: makeup and MCAS

vision blue

Am having trouble tolerating lots of ingredients in makeup products. Does anyone have a favorite preferably “natural” cosmetic line I can check out? I particularly am looking for a cream or balm (Prefer that to thinner lotion) for face that i can wear under face powder (so that i doN’t look so blasted dead and Chalky ghoul like). Also woukdnt mind a more natural pressed powder for face

Chabces are even if you have one my nast cells woNt tolerate it. So coconut oil and palm oil and their derivitaves are definitely out. I am not sure how i do with aloe- since oddly all natural cosmetics sewm to contain it i can try it again even tho not my fave
For more synthetic stiluff, i cannot tolerate acrylamides (Acrylates, and platicizers) which are (oddly) in many face creams nor benzylalk.....preservative

one of the bizarre things about my MCAS is that sonetimes it lets me grandfather stuff ive been using pre illness despite toxic i ingredients but would prefer to replace)- so maybe blush too if theres a natural one

years ago i used noxema under makeup but at some point critical ingredients were chsnged and besides i shoukdnt be putting nenthol on my skin now anyway

so curious what you all have found. And if you have struggled with this. Have you tried lots of things til you finally found your gems? Prob i will just look at Ingredients and sigh.

most of the time there are too msny other things to do than be concerned looking increasingly ghastly

Booble

Sorry, I'm no help. I've never worn makeup.

Side story: One time a few years ago my hair cutter noticed my perpetual bags under my eyes and gave me some kind cream shit he was hawking. I put on the free sample and very shortly thereafter it was like the stuff had burned my skin. Hot red skin everywhere the stuff was put on. I washed it off and thankfully the "burn" went away the next day.

I'm no help either, as I use drugstore makeup like L'Oréal. There's no reaction that I know if, but if I actually knew what was in it, I'd probably freak. The face cream I use is organic, but it's fairly thin, and it's actually called a lotion, and it has aloe as the first ingredient. Sorry!

Booble

I'm no help either, as I use drugstore makeup like L'Oréal. There's no reaction that I know if, but if I actually knew what was in it, I'd probably freak. The face cream I use is organic, but it's fairly thin, and it's actually called a lotion, and it has aloe as the first ingredient. Sorry!

Yes, reading ingredients is both a blessing and a curse!

lenora

Hi.....I was at the dermatologist's just yesterday. I asked about face creams and was told that he recommended Cera Ve. To be honest, all of the derms I've been to suggest it. I asked about Oil of Olay...the type that doesn't have an odor and was told that was fine, also....it's on his recommended list.

I've used this fluid (and it is a fluid) for years now and put it on whenever I think about it....they suggest 4 times/day as you get older. You don't need much, it isn't one of the higher priced ones and it disappears quickly if you don't overdo it. Water helps also to keep the skin moist....but again, don't overdo it...electrolyte balance and all that.

I use Cera Ve everywhere else and at night I put lanolin on my hands....a little goes a long way. I can't see the name on my face powder but my blush is just any old thing (Burt's Bees at present) that looks fine. Burt's Bees used to be made with all natural ingredients, but then it was bought out....couldn't tell you what's in it now.

I do wear make-up but not every day.....and I always wear the most recommended sunscreen, Elta M.D. Either buy it at the dermatologist's office or directly from the supplier. It's cheaper on Amazon, but is a fake...or at least it used to be. Expensive, but a little goes a long way. Don't forget your hands. It's also a moisturizer and disappears quickly. I sit on a porch surrounded by trees as I have very fair skin and do get skin cancers. Good luck. It's nice that you still want to wear these products. You may find more help and free samples at Sephora. Talk to a clerk at the store. Yours, Lenora.

kelly8

I've ordered from beauty counter although it is expensive. I just use their concealer, eyeliner pencil and mascara. I don't use a lot of makeup though because i never know if my body will turn on it. I'm not sure if it contains coconut oil though.

lenora

On a bad day it seems your make-up disappears. Have you ever wondered where? Lipstick is pretty obvious, we end up swallowing it.

Blush and powder...are they absorbed? Where do they go. I think they're probably absorbed just like lotions. Still, I can't blame any of them for my ME, and hope they aren't making my allergies worse. Yours, Lenora.

Woof!

Any lip products make me vomit immediately - the reaction is swift and profound. Cosmetics with corn starch or similar starches cause migraines within the hour. And, of course, anything with a fragrance quickly causes stem-to-stern head and sinus pain.

The only "beauty" product I can tolerate is Aveeno Active Naturals daily moisturizing lotion (Walmart's generic of this is also okay).

vision blue

On a bad day it seems your make-up disappears. Have you ever wondered where? Lipstick is pretty obvious, we end up swallowing it.

Blush and powder...are they absorbed? Where do they go. I think they're probably absorbed just like lotions. Still, I can't blame any of them for my ME, and hope they aren't making my allergies worse. Yours, Lenora.

Mine seem to end up in my eyes...But have read that yes, they get absorbed through skin and that's why the non-toxic police say getting non toxic makdup more important than changing your soap since the latter gets washed off quickly but the former is on skin for alot alonger.

vision blue

Any lip products make me vomit immediately - the reaction is swift and profound. Cosmetics with corn starch or similar starches cause migraines within the hour. And, of course, anything with a fragrance quickly causes stem-to-stern head and sinus pain.

The only "beauty" product I can tolerate is Aveeno Active Naturals daily moisturizing lotion (Walmart's generic of this is also okay).

Thanks for suggestion. Will look up. but if i'm remembering correctly aveeno makes oatmeal products for skin? rats. our disease is so blasted odd, but i cannot put oatmeal on my skin. had tried that since childhood for itching but react badly to it. (and when i stopped eating oatmeal my digestion improved alot as well) .

What's too bad is that we are all so different in terms of what react to. Seems cosmically unfair becasue we can't learn from others hard work and each of us has to try a zillion things to get something that works. oh and when you do, they change it. So i have been able to use a type of Rembrandt toothpaste and recently learned the formula has changed. when i read the ingredients its now full of stuff i don't want.

vision blue

I often find I can tolerate most baby products...the natural Iines. soaps and lotions...

Darn lets invent Baby Makeup!

I also try getting baby products, higher chance of success for me, but not a guarantee. like some add lavender which i can't tolerate, and everyone is on the aloe kick. i like that baby products have smaller doses too (for oral stuff) though again doen'st always work out. i got a vitamin D drop for babies- nope, didn't agree with me.

vision blue

@vision blue, it's Nature's Baby Organics face and body moisturizer, fragrance free. I love it, and I use it for my hands too. It keeps them moistened even after I wash my hands. It's expensive on Amazon. Sometimes Swanson's has it, though.

Thanks much for suggestion. will check it out. I should report back since having homeowrk may make it likely i'll actually get it done... maybe i should look up ingredients first.
ok, just looked it up

Organic Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, vanilla plantifolia fruit extract.
Additional Ingredients: Carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, ethylhexyl palmitate (coconut derived), glyceryl stearate (coconut derived), sorbitan olivate (olive fruit derived), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, glyhcerin (vegetable derived), rosa centifolia (rose) flower water, tocopherol (natural vitamin E), hydroxyethylcellulose (cellulose gum/plant fiber), xanthan gum (polysaccharide gum/sugar), capryloyl glycine (amino acid), undecylenoyl glycine (amino acid), glucono-lactone (and) sodium benzoate ( NSF approvevd preservative), glycine (amino acid).

Ah, can't even try it. Has coconut derived products. Thanks anyway.

lenora

Hi Strawberry....The other thing to bear in mind with tattoos as make-up is this: The eyebrows, for example, are supposed to be done every year. As we get older, they seem to disappear anyway and that's the one thing I would like....but since they don't know exactly what's in the dye for tattoos you're right in saying that the metals may cause problems....or worse yet, irritation.

I absolutely cannot put on eyebrows in a hospital mirror. I don't know why, but one may be above the brow line and the other below it. I'm probably more aware of the lack of them than anyone else. Yours Lenora.