• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Foods that Fight Inflammation

BeADocToGoTo1

At the moment, I am eating whole food plant based no animal products, no gluten or oats. I have been able to add back in many foods in 2018 that I could not eat previously. I can eat berries, nuts, seeds, corn and all grains except wheat and oats. These foods had all given me problems previously. I will be testing oats this coming week. (with some fear and trepidation I might add.) The last time I tested oats, 2 small bites gave me very sore knees within two hours, I felt horrible and that night I couldn't sleep and when I did finally sleep I had a horrible nightmare. (I had eaten the two bites of oats for dinner.)

I feel like I am doing very well inflammation wise and my lab for hsCRP is quite good at .4 mg/L. I also have been doing quite well CFS wise. While I am still tired and have all kinds of weird symptoms I am functioning pretty good. Today I put in a full day including 20 minutes on the treadmill at the athletic club, up to 3.7 mph and up to 10% incline. I also did some weights. And I did fine. Not all days are like that for sure, but I am grateful for the ones that are.

My husband, who does not have CFS, has a much higher hsCRP than I do. For the month of April he will eat Whole Food Plant Based and run labs before and after this experiment to see if his labs change. It will be interesting!!

Great to read!

This might be obvious, but I will mention it just in case since it helped me. When my microbiome was rebalanced and I was absorbing food again my food sensitivities also slowly resolved themselves including (non-celiac) gluten. However, if I eat non-organic I get hit again. With oats and wheat please be especially careful to have organic (Biological in Europe), otherwise you will get a sizable dosage of glyphosate and other synthetic pesticides and herbicides with it. Organic wheat is hard to come by here, but there are some artisan type bakeries now that will use just a handful of organic ingredients, the whole grain and no sugar. The way our grandparents ate bread. :) Non-organic wheat, without the healthy wheatgerm and bran is in most packaged and restaurant food these days, even in unexpected things like condiments and soy sauce.

One other thing that helped initially was to take a probiotic 10-20 minutes prior to eating wheat or oats as it contains bacteria that help break down gluten. It remains for me a moderation type of food.

Corn is another one, especially if you are in the US, to only touch organic versions. Most of it is is GMO and thus generously sprayed with toxins, including Atrazine which is not even allowed in the EU.

Just ignore this if it is obvious, but if you are eating completely vegan, be careful to monitor your levels and supplement when necessary, essentials such as calcium, iron, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, iodine, choline, selenium, vitamins B2, B12 and D3.

jesse's mom

Thank you for your post @BeADocToGoTo1 I find that taking a probiotic in the morning and only drinking water for the first hour or so to be advantageous. There are many Non GMO products finally in the stores here in the US. I seem to be okay with oats, but still not the regular bread available.

Now I will explore another love of mine ever since I took a trip to San Francisco... Sourdough!

Stay tuned! ;)

Timaca

Great to read!

This might be obvious, but I will mention it just in case since it helped me. When my microbiome was rebalanced and I was absorbing food again my food sensitivities also slowly resolved themselves including (non-celiac) gluten. However, if I eat non-organic I get hit again. With oats and wheat please be especially careful to have organic (Biological in Europe), otherwise you will get a sizable dosage of glyphosate and other synthetic pesticides and herbicides with it. Organic wheat is hard to come by here, but there are some artisan type bakeries now that will use just a handful of organic ingredients, the whole grain and no sugar. The way our grandparents ate bread. :) Non-organic wheat, without the healthy wheatgerm and bran is in most packaged and restaurant food these days, even in unexpected things like condiments and soy sauce.

One other thing that helped initially was to take a probiotic 10-20 minutes prior to eating wheat or oats as it contains bacteria that help break down gluten. It remains for me a moderation type of food.

Corn is another one, especially if you are in the US, to only touch organic versions. Most of it is is GMO and thus generously sprayed with toxins, including Atrazine which is not even allowed in the EU.

Just ignore this if it is obvious, but if you are eating completely vegan, be careful to monitor your levels and supplement when necessary, essentials such as calcium, iron, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, iodine, choline, selenium, vitamins B2, B12 and D3.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful input. I do buy organic foods whenever possible, especially corn. And for my oat test, I did find some gluten free non GMO oats. It seemed that the organic oats were not necessarily gluten free (at least in the stores that I looked at). But I will keep my eyes open for gluten free and organic oats!

I do take a probiotic and have found them useful. I also have started to take in small amounts of fermented foods. We'll see how that goes!

I do supplement with calcium, zinc, omega 3 fatty acids (vegan source), I use iodized salt and when home some additional iodine, I eat Brazil nuts 4 times a week for selenium, I take a small amount of B12 which has been sufficient to keep my blood levels over 800, and I also take a D3 (and I watch my blood levels). I don't take iron as my blood levels are fine. I also don't supplement with choline....partly because I am unsure of the need to do that (can you explain the reason?) and I wonder if it would affect TMAO levels (increase that inthe blood) in which case it would be unwise to supplement with choline. You can read about TMAO and heart disease here.

BeADocToGoTo1

I have been LOVING all kinds of pickled and fermented foods and was feeling guilty about my love for olives. I am also loving to eat pickled okra and pickles.

Now I am going to eat another couple of olives;)

Entirely reasonable and healthy craving! Olive oil is also the only way I cook. Avoiding the 'vegetable' oils, that contain not a shred of vegetables and more often than not made from GMO soybeans, seeds and corn is also anti-inflammatory. Eggs that are rich in omega-3, so not soy or corn fed, organic and pasture raised. And with my daily home made soup I will often add some avocado topped with a little curry powder (tumeric, pepper, coriander, onion). Oh yes, and green tea.

BeADocToGoTo1

I also don't supplement with choline....partly because I am unsure of the need to do that (can you explain the reason?) and I wonder if it would affect TMAO levels (increase that inthe blood) in which case it would be unwise to supplement with choline.

Only mentioned it because foods high in choline are often non-vegan, but wheat germ or quinoa also are good sources of it.

Of course everyone's needs will differ. Choline deficiency can lead to deficient betaine (a.k.a. TMG, trimethyglycine), which is an important methyl donor and helps convert homocysteine to methionine. It is needed to synthesize phosphatidylcholine, a major component of cell membranes. Choline is also a precursor for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and impacts tyrosine related neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine.

Dechi

I crave for pickled beets, I just love them ! My craving started about 6 weeks ago and I’ve been eating about 1 jar per week. I just bought sweet baby pickles today and can’t wait to eat some !

pamojja

I do supplement with calcium, zinc, omega 3 fatty acids (vegan source), I use iodized salt and when home some additional iodine, I eat Brazil nuts 4 times a week for selenium, I take a small amount of B12 which has been sufficient to keep my blood levels over 800, and I also take a D3 (and I watch my blood levels). I don't take iron as my blood levels are fine. I also don't supplement with choline....partly because I am unsure of the need to do that (can you explain the reason?) and I wonder if it would affect TMAO levels (increase that inthe blood) in which case it would be unwise to supplement with choline. You can read about TMAO and heart disease here.

ubiome explorer now does mention the TMAO producing bacteria in your microbiome, here from my test in in 2017:
TMA-Producing Microbes (gut microbes that produce trimethylamine (TMA), a chemical that is later converted within the body to trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO): 0.53x than Selected Samples. These are samples from individuals who report no ailments and high levels of wellness.

Actually not surprising, since I've most my life vegetarian. And TMAO producing bacteria are most abundant in omnivores. Choline supplementation helped in my case to heal from NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty-liver disease). But the reverse might also be the case: choline deficiency, as it is common on vegetarian diets, might become the cause for NAFDL.

On top of having very little TMAO producing bacteria (compared to even healthy individuals), after having been vegetarian for 30 years, I developed a very severe CVD with a 60% disability. There are just too many probable causes for CVD, and it doesn't even need TMAO producing bacteria, to get full blown. By now, by changing diet and comprehensive supplementation, could get remission from the disability.

Last edited:

Timaca

ubiome explorer now does mention the TMAO producing bacteria in your microbiome, here from my test in in 2017:

Actually not surprising, since I've most my life vegetarian. And TMAO producing bacteria are most abundant in omnivores. Choline supplementation helped in my case to heal from NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty-liver disease). But the reverse might also be the case: choline deficiency, as it is common on vegetarian diets, might become the cause for NAFDL.

On top of having very little TMAO producing bacteria (compared to even healthy individuals), after having been vegetarian for 30 years, I developed a very severe CVD with a 60% disability. There are just too many probable causes for CVD, and it doesn't even need TMAO producing bacteria, to get full blown. By now, by changing diet and comprehensive supplementation, could get remission from the disability.

Hi pamojja~ I'm sorry to hear of your CVD problem. I really like Dr. Kim Williams, past president of the American College of Cardiology and current chief of cardiology at Rush University Medical Center. Here is a talk recorded in January 2018. Here is another one posted in Oct of 2018. There are many more on YouTube if you are interested. If you need a great cardiologist who knows his stuff and live near Chicago, I highly recommend him. (I have not seen him as a patient but have listened to many of his talks.) He does discuss that there are multiple players in the development of CVD in his talks.

I was not aware that a choline deficiency causes NAFLD. Is that what you think caused yours?? I'm sorry you are dealing with that... My liver function seems to be fine (at least based on liver function tests in my labs).

I didn't quite understand your report about the TMAO bacteria in your gut. You have about half the amount of normal, healthy people?? I know Cleveland Clinic has a blood test for TMAO, but I don't think it is available unless you go to that clinic, so I've not had one done. However, since I eat whole food plant based I think I don't have the type of bacteria in my gut that produces TMAO. Dr. Williams discusses TMAO and has slides on it in his talks. So does Brenda Davis R.D. I wonder about the lab that you used....how they categorize "healthy" people, since most people have heart disease already and 1 in 3 Americans will die of it.... So maybe what they say is healthy isn't really when it comes to heart disease.....those people, even though the lab describes them as healthy likely have plaque in their arteries which isn't a good thing.... just thinking here.....

I hope you are able to get healthy. You mentioned changing your diet....and taking supplements. What are you doing to improve your health???

I wish you all the best,

Timaca

Only mentioned it because foods high in choline are often non-vegan, but wheat germ or quinoa also are good sources of it.

Of course everyone's needs will differ. Choline deficiency can lead to deficient betaine (a.k.a. TMG, trimethyglycine), which is an important methyl donor and helps convert homocysteine to methionine. It is needed to synthesize phosphatidylcholine, a major component of cell membranes. Choline is also a precursor for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and impacts tyrosine related neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine.

Thank you for this information!!!!

Timaca

I will do some reading on choline here! Thanks to you and pamojja for bringing it to my attention! :)

pamojja

I was not aware that a choline deficiency causes NAFLD. Is that what you think caused yours??

In my case it was probably a co-factor. Initially caused by 7 malarias and their treatments (all heavy on the liver) long ago. With comprehensive supplementation, which of course included choline, it resolved.

I wonder about the lab that you used....how they categorize "healthy" people, since most people have heart disease already and 1 in 3 Americans will die of it....

Microbiome testing is indeed still in it's infancy. Ubiome does categorize them by asking each of their testers about their health problems. That way they found particular bacteria in particular proportions in different groups, for example mine compares closest to the left, and furthest to the right of this list:

Code:
Raw Food | Selected Samples | Pesceterian | Vegan | Antibiotic | Vegeterian | Heavy Drinkers | Weigth gain | Omnivorous | Paleo | Low-carb | Weight loss | Gluten free | Dairy free | All Samples

Of course, there will always be out-liers like me with such great samples sizes, and in my case extensive travel history (whole Africa, South-Asia, Central America). Actually been Gluten free for 10 years, skinny my whole life, teetotaler since 30 years, or vegetarian since 40 years. Moreover, been chronically ill since 10 years with a number of conditions..

However, the more they test the accurate their predictions will become. At the time I took my sample 2 years ago they only had tested 250 000 people, now already 2 500 000 (if I remember the numbers right). Therefore my numbers also keeps changing: did I had more more microbial diversity than 94% of all tested, now with the so much greater sample size I have only 89% more microbial diversity of all tested.

By this really large sample size, it does have some weight who still has no health-problems correlated to their present microbiome. Which also might only change when really getting sick. Still 100% will die of one or the other cause anyway one day.

You mentioned changing your diet....and taking supplements. What are you doing to improve your health???

Tried to summarize my whole health odysee here. Meanwhile I haven't experienced PEM for 1 year!

BeADocToGoTo1

Thank you for your post @BeADocToGoTo1 I find that taking a probiotic in the morning and only drinking water for the first hour or so to be advantageous. There are many Non GMO products finally in the stores here in the US. I seem to be okay with oats, but still not the regular bread available.

Now I will explore another love of mine ever since I took a trip to San Francisco... Sourdough!

Stay tuned! ;)

Hi Jesse's mom,

The 'Non-GMO' label is often meaningless marketing. It is not necessarily the GMO portion that is the problem. Hardly any vegetables we eat these days are the same as they were 50 or 100 years ago, including non-GMO.

Wheat is officially always Non-GMO, but still full of glyphosate and other toxins. The toxins sprayed on Non-GMO are the same as on Non-Organic. The main difference is that GMO plants can handle more of the toxins before dying, and thus often contain even more of the pesticides and herbicides.

BeADocToGoTo1

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful input. I do buy organic foods whenever possible, especially corn. And for my oat test, I did find some gluten free non GMO oats. It seemed that the organic oats were not necessarily gluten free (at least in the stores that I looked at). But I will keep my eyes open for gluten free and organic oats!

There is a lot of cross-contamination, which makes it difficult if you have Celiac's disease. Even organic does not mean it is free of herbicides or pesticides, it is just a different list of them. Even with the USDA organic label there can be up to 10% non-organic in it and still be given the USDA organic label. It is impossible to completely avoid the toxins, be we can try to do the best we can by avoiding the obvious hits, like you are doing.

jesse's mom

I had a garden for a few years when I was in a moderate stage of ME/CFS. I learned a lot about growing organic vegetables. The best I did was with melons, peppers, turnips and carrots they are hardy against bugs. We have lots of pests. Lining the garden with marigolds and other plants to stave off the bugs makes a little difference.

The temptation to use pesticides and fertilizer was always a conflict between my husband and me.

Potatoes do well, and onions just keep on trucking as long as you pile the dirt up and make sure it it does not stay too wet. Raised beds are great for this.

I could never grow enough peas or okra to match the cost of growing. (water bill)

I have to grow tomato in pots way up on my porch, it gets plenty of sun in the afternoon.
Tomatoes are all I am able to maintain these days.

One thing about growing a garden, you KNOW what you are eating.

pamojja

The best I did was with melons, peppers, turnips and carrots they are hardy against bugs. We have lots of pests. Lining the garden with marigolds and other plants to stave off the bugs makes a little difference.

Gardening is really a good learning experience in which one are most resistant to bugs, and give the most yields over time. It is also very depending on the location. In my place most nasty are naked snails to everything with leaves. But only until I found out they leave everything aside if there are also tabaco plants, which when grown enough, are sturdy to stand any assault. Hemp would also do, but is illegal where I life.

Tammy

From Anthony William's book "Life Changing Foods" Foods that can help counteract inflammation: Cranberries, grapes, kiwis,melons,asparagus,pomegranates,celery, cruciferous vegies, cucumbers, onions, radishes.

Foods that help with inflammation of the brain specifically: Berries, mangoes, celery

jesse's mom

From Anthony William's book "Life Changing Foods" Foods that can help counteract inflammation: Cranberries, grapes, kiwis.,melons,asparagus,pomegranates,celery, cruciferous vegies, cucumbers, onions, radishes.

Foods that help with inflammation of the brain specifically: Berries, mangoes, celery
@Tammy that is all good information. Thanks for adding that to the conversation.

I love all the foods on your list except for cucumbers I sneak that in to sushi if it is spicy.

Cucumber sanwiches on white bread is a 'thing' where I live and I was forced to eat them as a child. Scarred by cucumber sandwiches. :)

Funny thing with me and mangoes. I never likes them at all, then when I got pregnant with my youngest child I craved them. I ate them constantly. I even came up with a chutney to put over baked fish that I still use. It has mangoes, onion, shallots, celery, pecans or walnuts and spices marinated over night in olive oil. I think the next time we do that chutney I will add blueberries.

I really think there is something to food cravings if I listen to my I eat well, and the baby I had during the mango cravings.. She loves mangoes! ;)