• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food allergy test

SaraM

Is there any value to a food allergy test, especially when it is done by an HMO doc?I really want to avoid it if it is going to turn out to be another useless test.Thanks.

HopingSince88

My experience with allergy testing by most MD's is that they only consider IgE to be a true allergy, and they discount IgG as an allergy, and often don't even test for it. I have had two gastroenterologists tell me that although I have an IgG to gliadin (one of the molecules in gluten), that I don't have an allergy to gluten.

If the only thing your being tested for is IgE to foods, I expect you would already know you had this type of allergy. It is like an anaphalactic response to peanuts...etc. Unless s/he is doing a full panel that includes IgG antibody testing, I would think it is possibly a waste of time and money. So I would get details on what the test actually looks at in order to better evaluate it.