• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate / B12 / methyl donor intolerance

Any ideas at all on what can trigger a person to not be able to take folate or B12 without really bad symptoms? I have had 3 horrible years (undermedicated on thyroid bad and developed SIBO, leaky gut, high homocysteine, histamine intolerance). I used to be able to take folate but in the last couple years I cannot take ANY methyl donors or else I really feel like I'm going to die (extreme head sensations, extreme fatigue, aches, tingling - I can't even engage). I can't even eat folate fortified foods! I've also discovered I am undermethylating and not a good detoxer. Am working with a good new functional doc who HAS helped me make progress (I think mostly better because I'm finally back on a little thyroid med). Is this methylation-cycle related?

MTHFR A1298C ++
MTHFS - ST20 ++
COMT ++ (14 of them)
FUT2 - all 3 ++ so I am a nonsecretor