• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FMT in Oz?

Daffodil

Hi All. I see that in Australia, people with IBS can get fecal transplants. And they do it at Barody's clinic at the Centre For Digestive Diseases

Since so many of us have IBS, I wonder....why aren't all the australian patients getting this?

Art Vandelay

People with ME I've spoken to in Australia who have had an FMT see some improvement (even remission) for a month or two and then they relapse. Subsequent FMTs have little or even no benefit.

It's expensive too (around $18,000 from memory) and not covered by Medicare or insurance. Last I heard, the CDD was offering extra FMTs if the first one doesn't work but it's still expensive for a treatment that most likely will only have temporary benefit.

Last edited: