• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics (like ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin) increase the risk of aortic and mitral valve regurgitation in the heart

Hip

A new study finds that fluoroquinolone antibiotics can lead to serious heart valve issues: aortic valve regurgitation or mitral valve regurgitation:

Oral Fluoroquinolones and Risk of Mitral and Aortic Regurgitation

However, the risk of heart valve disease only relates to recent use (within two months) of fluoroquinolone antibiotics. Past use of fluoroquinolones did not pose any increased risk for these heart valve conditions. So in other words, if you took fluoroquinolones like ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin at some point in the past, this does not place you at any higher risk of heart valve disease.

Regurgitation means when a heart valve does not close properly, leading to some back-flow of blood on each heart beat.

The authors point out this new study needs to be confirmed by replication studies.

Mitral valve prolapse (which can lead to mitral valve regurgitation) is found more commonly in ME/CFS. This may be because heart valve diseases are linked to chronic heart tissue infection with enterovirus — a virus linked to ME/CFS. Refs: 1 2

Wayne

This may sound extreme, but from everything I know about fluoroquinolone Abx, they should be completely banned. It seems there's always better alternatives that are MUCH safer. It seems most octors are incredibly ignorant of extraordinary risks posed not only fluoroquinolones, but other drugs as well.