• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

flagyl-iga immunoglobulins

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi, Have had elevated iga immunoglobulins for quite awhile. My understanding is iga immunoglobulins effect digestive tract, nose, respiratory, ears and eyes and any surface exposed to outside foreign substances.

Also had elevated lymphocytes which my doc thinks is because of ebv reactivation, which i take famvir for and has reduced these lymphocytes.

Im thinking that elevated iga immunoglobulins could be due to a bacterial infection (co-infection)which Im thinking of a theraputic trial of flagyl which suppose to be good for infections of the above mentioned body areas. Have had ongoing episodes of diarrhoea as well as ongoing eye problems(infections) where they get very red and itchy, antibiotic drops help but doesnt nail it so to speak.

After this 2 week antibiotic treatment will do a 10 day course of nizoral for any possible fungal infection and hit up probiotics as well.

After anyones opinions or experience related to this.
thanks.

Were your laboratory IgA levels produced while taking Famciclovir? Famvir can alter kidney and liver function, so I imagine it can alter the immune system as well. Metronidazole, both anecdotally and clinically, has moderate side effects. You should prepare accordingly. It's fine to take a short course, but if you have certain resources you should test for antigens, not empirically.

heapsreal

hi

Were your laboratory IgA levels produced while taking Famciclovir? Famvir can alter kidney and liver function, so I imagine it can alter the immune system as well. Metronidazole, both anecdotally and clinically, has moderate side effects. You should prepare accordingly. It's fine to take a short course, but if you have certain resources you should test for antigens, not empirically.

Thanks for the reply, the IgA reading was taken before famvir as well as during famvir and both times this reading was high.

What side effect will I be looking at?

My resources are limited. My doc ordered the tests but has never said to do anything about it. As for testing for antigens, i think this type of testing is limited in australia.

Besides lymphocytes, iga immunoglobulins has been the only thing that shows up consistently when tested. Lymphocytes have improved, now want to chase the iga and see if i can improve some more. If you have any other treatment ideas i would be interested.

thanks again

Metronidazole is a sulfur-moiety compound, your body does not like sulfur for some reason. Side effects range from gastrointestinal upset, headaches, to furry tongue. It's not that bad if it helps you.

Since elevated IgA is related to kidney or liver damage, it might be due to the Famvir. However, I cannot find any data on the associated pathologies for it.

It's more likely leading towards systemic infection you may be correct there, but my literature reading was cursory. A brief view of literature denotes an infection that would primarily attack mucous membranes and that includes most herpesviruses, STDs etc.

An interesting IgA attack would be plasmapheresis. The cons are identifiable, and include:

-Fluid loss obviously
-short term improvement (3 to 4 days)
-lowering of IgG and IgM immunoglobulins, indiscriminately.

Pros:
-Brief reprieve of immune activation

The cost ostensibly outweigh the benefits, but it depends how many straws you have left.

heapsreal

hi

Taking a break from famvir. The last break lasted a week then came down with constant headache, bla , bla ,bla worsening cfs symptoms. Did a further 10 days and improved dramativally again, so there is definately something viral going on, which i know also from lymphocyte tests.

Anyway, have started a 10 day course of flagyl, which i wanted to take seperately from famvir because of possible liver stress. So far so good, maybe its taking a load off my immune system so it can keep EBV supressed. I havent had diarhoea but oh boy the bowels have been working, I dont know if its eliminating dead bacteria or what.Doing this treatment for possible small bowel bacterial overgrowth(which could be the cause of my elevated iGa immunoglobulins) and also for reoccurring eye infections which i have had some success with doxycycline, but keeps reoccurring. My eyes are feeling better and not as red either, so a good sign.

I am taking probiotics with this treatment to replenish good intestinal bacteria and I am going to continue with them when I finish the flagyl, will then do a 10 day course of nizoral for possible bowel/gut yeast infection, as well as a safety net from taking abx which can cause yeast overgrowth. Couple of years ago I noticed an improvement in general symptoms after doing nystatin and nizoral treatment course.

So I think Im onto something now. Tests that have regularily shown up abnormalities( lymphocytes from ebv reactivation and iga immunoglobulins) I am now treating. Hopefully I can report back and tell you guys Im much better. Just to let you know, I am taking alot of other supplements to support my immune system as well as antioxidants too.

Cheers!
Hope this helps someone out there and would also appreciate more advice too, it always welcome.

S

smithgerry

I do not have idea about flagyl-iga immunoglobulins but I heard about the IgE, immunoglobulin E - the protective role is not clear. IgE is frequently increased in parasitic infestations and atopic individuals.