• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fish oil Prescription-Lovaza. Does anybody take this?

*GG*

If so, what is the difference between this and Fish Oil you would get at a Health Food store?

thanks in advance for any feedback!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I took it for about 3 years due to my triglycerides were stubbornly elevated and I could not tolerate statins and didn't want to take them anyway. My triglycerides had been as high as 403 at one time, but generally stayed around 325 - 350 prior to Lovaza. After about 6 months on Lovaza they dropped to 250 to 275 (still too high), but didn't want anymore medication plus wanted the benefits of fish oil.

I quit taking the Lovaza about 3 months ago as the prescription ran out along with my insurance. I've noticed some changes, but can't contribute them to quitting the Lovaza until I resume taking some type of fish oil.

As far as the difference between Lovaza and commercially available fish oil is that I have no clue. Lovaza is Omega 3 ethyl esthers, which doesn't mean anything to me. My prescrition was for 4 grams a day, but i generally took only 3 grams. It never affected my LDL levels, liver test or caused an upset stomach.

The only comment that I can make is that it is not enteric coated, but it had no fishy after taste or burps.

Lovaza was covered by my insurance at the time, but was a Tier 2 which cost me $80 for a 90-day supply. It was a fair price for what I felt like was a high grade of fish oil.

If you have any more questions I'll certainly try to answer them