• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

First COVID-19, Then Myasthenia Gravis: Coincidence or Causal?

SWAlexander

Three patients developed MG after coronavirus infection
Myasthenia gravis, an autoimmune neurologic disorder, was associated with COVID-19 in three patients in Italy.
Symptoms of myasthenia gravis (MG) appeared 5 to 7 days after fever onset in three patients who had no previous neurologic or autoimmune disorders, reported Domenico Restivo, MD, PhS, of Garibaldi Hospital in Catania, and colleagues, in a case report in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
"This finding is important because the association between COVID-19 infection and myasthenia gravis has not been reported before," Restivo said.
More at: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88016

nerd

MG is a classical post-viral condition. That it hadn't been reported before might just be a huge bias - a bias I've experienced myself with an MG neurologist. I suspect that many assume that MG can only be diagnosed in absence of other conditions. This means COVID-19 excludes MG. ME and Post-COVID exclude MG. Nothing is found because nobody looks.