• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finger swelling in right hand (Autoimmune flare?)

Two nights ago, I started having pain in my veins at night while trying to sleep.

Next day, I was working in my computer and I had a strange feeling in my right hand. I looked at my fingers and they were swelling, as if they have liquid inside.

I got a bit scared because I have dysautonomia and anticardiolipin AA and it felt it could be part of my puzzle. I went to the ER and they said its capsulitis in one of the fingers, but they only noticed the finger which is in the worst state.

This morning, when I woke up, my little, middle and first finger where also swelled, although not as bad as my fourth finger.

The doctors at the ER had no idea about what is happening. They said it's probably from typing too much in my computer, but I came back today and another doctor told me that it's not because of a hand movement repetition, but gave me no other clues.

I am scared it could be an autoinmune flair. My rheumatoid factor is borderline and I have POTS and maybe antiphospholipid syndrome.

They have immobilized my fourth finger and given me tons of Ibuprofen.

Any ideas what is this about?

Gingergrrl

Any ideas what is this about?

I am not sure what caused it but I wanted to bump your thread back to top so more people will see it. I was also curious if the swelling in your fingers has gotten better, worse, or stayed the same since your post?

Edit: Also, I can't remember, have you seen a rheumatologist re: your abnormal autoantibodies?

I am not sure what caused it but I wanted to bump your thread back to top so more people will see it. I was also curious if the swelling in your fingers has gotten better, worse, or stayed the same since your post?

Edit: Also, I can't remember, have you seen a rheumatologist re: your abnormal autoantibodies?

The fourth and fifth finger are still the same (the ones which are more affected), and the red spot with the inflammation in the fourth one, where the worst edema is, is still going strong.
The rest of the fingers are a little better.

The pain is mostly needle-like or on the side of hand and wrist where the affected fingers are.

They've given me tons of ibuprofen but this kind of pain doesn't respond to it. I've replaced it and take high doses of quercetin and bromelain and seems to help better.

I'm seeing a GP tomorrow but do you think I should see a rheumatologist? I was supposed to see the immunologist by the end of March.

Gingergrrl

The fourth and fifth finger are still the same (the ones which are more affected), and the red spot with the inflammation in the fourth one, where the worst edema is, is still going strong.

Sorry to hear they are not better :bang-head:

They've given me tons of ibuprofen but this kind of pain doesn't respond to it. I've replaced it and take high doses of quercetin and bromelain and seems to help better.

That is interesting that high doses of quercetin and bromelain have helped vs. ibuprofen (which means it is responding anti-histamine and mast cell mediators vs. anti-inflammatory). Do you have MCAS or allergic reactions?

I'm seeing a GP tomorrow but do you think I should see a rheumatologist? I was supposed to see the immunologist by the end of March.

My first thought was similar to yours that this could be some kind of autoimmune reaction since you have borderline rheumatoid factor and anticardiolipin AA (and maybe other autoantibodies that you don't yet know about). I was thinking if a rheum could look at your swollen fingers, combined with your autoantibodies, they might be able to figure it out.

But I would still see the GP tomorrow and see if they could refer you to a rheumatologist. I would also still see the immunologist in March. But now I am wondering about MCAS since the swelling responded to mast cell supplements vs. ibuprofen. And of course you can also have multiple different issues going on at the same time like I did :eek:.

Sorry to hear they are not better :bang-head:

That is interesting that high doses of quercetin and bromelain have helped vs. ibuprofen (which means it is responding anti-histamine and mast cell mediators vs. anti-inflammatory). Do you have MCAS or allergic reactions?

My first thought was similar to yours that this could be some kind of autoimmune reaction since you have borderline rheumatoid factor and anticardiolipin AA (and maybe other autoantibodies that you don't yet know about). I was thinking if a rheum could look at your swollen fingers, combined with your autoantibodies, they might be able to figure it out.

But I would still see the GP tomorrow and see if they could refer you to a rheumatologist. I would also still see the immunologist in March. But now I am wondering about MCAS since the swelling responded to mast cell supplements vs. ibuprofen. And of course you can also have multiple different issues going on at the same time like I did :eek:.

It's been a tough week, the pain and swelling in these two fingers was really bad and I was really worried about the cause. Finally, yesterday I spent all the afternoon and parts of the night at the hospital and they've discarded issues with blood clots, arthritis, problems in joints or bones and infection. Basically, they don't have an idea of what is this about.

I'm not sure either, but I think it might hey something to do with my dysautonomia. My blood pools sometimes in hands and feet, and when it does in my hands it can be really painful in my veins. This is exactly what I felt the night before the swelling began. So I'm seeing the neurologist on Monday and I will speak to her about this.

They also told me that probably it isn't rheumathoid arthritis, because it usually happens in both hands and involves the wrists.

The most painful thing for me is that it becomes worse at night and it's difficult for me to sleep sometimes, and also because I write by hand a lot and now I can't do it. Also, it is difficult for me to cook with two fingers immobilized. And supposedly they should be like this until the swelling subsides, which they don't know how much time it can take. So I guess I have to exercise my patience, or work harder to find the cause.

I'm seeing my GP next week; I will ask her for the tests for rheumathoid arthritis and if there's anything else that you think it could be helpful, I would appreciate your advice.

Lisa108

Just a guess here: could it have been a thrombosis in the context of an antiphospholipid syndrome? Autoantibodies tend to fluctuate, maybe your GP or rheumy can re-test them, to have a clearer picture.

Edit: just re-read your last post, so blood clots were excluded... hmm.... I'd still have a deeper look into autoantibody-related issues.

Gingergrrl

@poetessinmotion I am so sorry to hear that your fingers are not better and the doctors have not figured out the cause.

I have no idea if this is relevant but could it be some kind of “reactive arthritis” triggered by an infection?

Hi, I'm back!

The inflammation is much better but the swelling is still there, although less. I've been able to sleep again and I don't feel much pain.

However, my fingers are still inmovilised with a device and I don't know for how long.

I've had a tough week. I had dysautonomia tests yesterday which were not the best or the most accurate and now the neurologist is saying that I don't have dysautonomia or POTS. So I guess I'll have to look for a second opinion and spend much more money to get answers. I think this has happened because I'm not severe anymore and my POTS is milder now unless I have a crisis, but I still have it and other dysautonomia symptoms, so that's not nice.

The worst of all is that she dismissed all my autoantibodies and she says she doesn't think I need a referral to an immunologist. That's for the social security system which is free. So I have to fight for this referral, and on the way I've asked for an appointment with an excellent immunologist who is very expensive but I need answers and help.

My GP has asked for an MRI of the hand so I can take the results to this doctor (who is also a rheumatologist by the way) but this will be on March 11th.

Until then I'll have my hand checked by the GP and maybe a traumatologist. Let's see...

It seems to be getting worse again. I started the AIP diet but then my hypoglycemia has gone haywire (I think because of a probiotic that was not suitable for me) and it's too hard for me to do keto-AIP at this moment. I came back to some old keto standard foods and I feel I'm paying it with more inflammation. This is horrid...

prioris

It seems to be getting worse again. I started the AIP diet but then my hypoglycemia has gone haywire (I think because of a probiotic that was not suitable for me) and it's too hard for me to do keto-AIP at this moment. I came back to some old keto standard foods and I feel I'm paying it with more inflammation. This is horrid...

did you try lumbrokinase

wigglethemouse

@poetessinmotion Two years ago I woke up with a swollen left hand. DVT negative. Since then swelling goes up and down but never away. I've no idea what it is. I have severe ME so decided not to troop round all the different doctors and make myself worse. Just got used to it. When I get better I'll go see a hand surgeon to get their opinion.

They probably suggested ibuprofen for you due to NSAID properties.

If you get to bottom of this, I'd love to know.

prioris

DVT negative ... doesn't really matter what some test told you ... you experiment
veins, arteries, vascular ... lumbrokinase ... diosmin
other possibility is RA ... borax cures most

@wigglethemouse I'll let you know for sure. I work as a writer and translator, so having my right hand like this is not something that I plan to leave unanswered. I have an MRI of the hand tomorrow and I'll see a top immunologist in less than 20 days, so I hope he can throw some light on the subject.

@prioris I live in Spain and lumbrokinase is by no means easy to get from here, even online. The fact that this is produced from worms doesn't feel delicious to me at all but hey, desperation can be quite suggestive. But I could get nattokinase and serrapeptase, does it make the same effect?

I'm starting strict keto AIP again and all the autoinmune protocol. Cross my fingers that it will reduce inflammation. Ibuprofen is like water to me, doesn't help a bit.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This may sound odd, but cabbage leaf wraps or poultices have been used for centuries to reduce swelling, reduce pain and treat other conditions.

The basic method:
1. Wash and dry several cabbage leaves (or just part of one if applying to a single finger)
2. Bruise the leaves (e.g. with a rolling pin, or using a firm object such as a mortar)
3. Apply to the area and use plastic wrap, bandage or some other method to hold it in place
4. Change the leaves every few hours, or when they become limp

Progress is usually seen within 12-24 hours.

prioris

@prioris I live in Spain and lumbrokinase is by no means easy to get from here, even online. The fact that this is produced from worms doesn't feel delicious to me at all but hey, desperation can be quite suggestive. But I could get nattokinase and serrapeptase, does it make the same effect?

yes that would be fine

nattokinase is for more milder clots but you can take much higher doses
i had severe peripheral artery disease 15 years ago and cure it with very high dose nattokinase and serrapeptase 3 times day ... took 3 weeks and i was fine

lumbrokinase is 80 times more stronger than nattokinase mg to mg ... lumbrokinase is for more severe stuff
it is powerful against clots ... it's all enzyme in a capsule ... at some point, i expect someone to commercially create it thru non worm source