• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finding a doc for Valtrex

Tella

Hi, docs in my country don’t prescribe valtrex for clear ebv infection in cfs patients (silly, I know), like in many counties.
I know however that we can buy the meds online, and they’re sold prescription free in other countries too.
question is: is it really dangerous to take it without an oversight from the doc? I want to try Dr Lerner’s protocol. From what I know valtrex is very safe as long as u drink lots of water.
I would ideally want a doc to lead me so are there any online doctors who can treat u remotely from any country that u can recommend who actually deal with antivirals for ME?
Do u know of any UK or European labs that test for all infections that Dr Lerner has on the list? And if I do it without a doc, where do u turn if there’s any abnormality in my monthly blood check ups? As I can’t just go to a GP or any other doc n tell them I’m taking high doses of valtrex on my own! They will tell me to stop and may not treat me or even worse! Gah....it’s like living in prison. Can I go to a private doc n tell them I take valtrex for a herpes infection (without going to details) that I bought in a country where it’s sold prescription free? They will still ask me why I started taking it without talking to a doc first, right? Please help! As I do want to give it a try. Ebv is the only thing that was ever found to be wrong with me and I do have ME. Thank u kind people!

why not try an infectious disease doctor. they use all the anti virals. they also take care of the herpes viruses.
good luck, joanie

Seadragon

@Tella I think we discussed Dr Amolak Bansal on another thread. He will prescribe anti virals if he thinks they are appropriate in your case and he is a good doctor. The problem is he only practises privately now so this may not be an option if money is an issue.

I would not trust medicines from online pharmacies - who knows where they are made or what they contain (could be fake, maybe even dangerous) or even who the people are that are selling these drugs over the internet?

There is also Dr Weir but he also only practises private.

I don't know where you are but in the south east, there is also Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri (Essex) but you need a GP referral and the waiting list is quite long. He still practises on the NHS though.

Someone told me a while back that Dr Bansal does phone consultations in some cases, if you are unable to travel.

I personally believe he would be worth a try if you can afford the consultation.

Tella

@Tella I think we discussed Dr Amolak Bansal on another thread. He will prescribe anti virals if he thinks they are appropriate in your case and he is a good doctor. The problem is he only practises privately now so this may not be an option if money is an issue.

I would not trust medicines from online pharmacies - who knows where they are made or what they contain (could be fake, maybe even dangerous) or even who the people are that are selling these drugs over the internet?

There is also Dr Weir but he also only practises private.

I don't know where you are but in the south east, there is also Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri (Essex) but you need a GP referral and the waiting list is quite long. He still practises on the NHS though.

Someone told me a while back that Dr Bansal does phone consultations in some cases, if you are unable to travel.

I personally believe he would be worth a try if you can afford the consultation.
Thank you. There’s an option for my family to bring the good meds from a country where they’re sold without prescription.

could u pls share any website or his details? I can’t seem to find any. Too tired to look for ages. Would u say I should defo get tested for bacterial infections first as per dr Lerner? As some tests for these aren’t sensitive n I don’t wanna take antibiotics unnecessarily. Is it worth a try to take antivirals straightaway?
@Hip do u have any insight as to my questions as I know u too are very knowledgeable in many ways? Also could u share that document with all the tests needed etc as I can’t find it anymore? Does it mention which UK/European labs I can use without referral?

I’m so upset as one doc said she would prescribe it privately. Then took my money for appointments n supplements n said she wouldn’t prescribe in the end. RUBBISH! They make money out of patients like us. Thanks guys

Hip

@Hip do u have any insight as to my questions as I know u too are very knowledgeable in many ways? Also could u share that document with all the tests needed etc as I can’t find it anymore? Does it mention which UK/European labs I can use without referral?

If you want to try Valtrex for EBV, then note that Dr Lerner found it takes around 3 months or so for the benefits to first begin to manifest. And then it takes another year or more of continually taking Valtrex for the full benefits to appear. It's a long commitment, and so an expensive one.

More people seem to get benefits from the antiviral Valcyte though, which is more expensive still. This also needs to be taken for a full year or more, according to Dr Lerner, for the full benefits to appear. And with Valcyte, you need to get regular blood tests to check liver function. But an NHS GP should be able to offer those. But Valcyte will cost around $14 per day, even at the cheapest pharmacy.

In the UK, it is legal to import prescription drugs from abroad by mail without having a prescription. The online pharmacies listed in this post are highly reliable.

The roadmap is here.

Tella

Thank u! He says valtrex is for ebv n then adds valcyte for cmv if one doesn’t work well. I do hope I can give it a go. It’s one of the last things I can try.
I can’t request the GP to just do them monthly as they will then ask what for, are u on any drugs etc so may have to do privately n perhaps find a doc who will read the results to me.
i see the pharmacies are kind of reliable but as mentioned above what if they switch tablets with smth else or they’re expired? Big risk...so will see if I find someone to prescribe. Thnx a lot for your help
1577165262566.png

Tella

Thank u! He says valtrex is for ebv n then adds valcyte for cmv if one doesn’t work well. I do hope I can give it a go. It’s one of the last things I can try.
I can’t request the GP to just do them monthly as they will then ask what for, are u on any drugs etc so may have to do privately n perhaps find a doc who will read the results to me.
i see the pharmacies are kind of reliable but as mentioned above what if they switch tablets with smth else or they’re expired? Big risk...so will see if I find someone to prescribe. Thnx a lot for your help View attachment 35754
Lol I don’t know if u can even see the emoji. Thought it only worked on iPhones! Hahaah

Seadragon

@Tella As mentioned in another thread a while ago, Dr Amolak Bansal is at Spire St Anthony's hospital in Cheam, Surrey.

He's worth a shot if you can afford it and I believe he might also do a Skype/Face time/over the phone consultation if you are too ill to attend the clinic in person..

Just google his name and the hospital name and all the info comes up.

He prescribes anti virals amongst other things.