• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fibromyalgia TV phone- in show broadcast live across Canada Jan 20 '10 2pm EST

leelaplay

ANNOUNCEMENT

On Wednesday January 20th, 2010 Dr. Alison Bested and Dr. Alan Logan are going to be on the live TV phone-in show On the line talking about Fibromyalgia.

The program will be broadcast live across Canada at 2pm Eastern time Wednesday January 20. To find out if it is available in your area, go to http://ctstv.com/calgary/tuningin.php. The program will NOT be broadcast live on the internet, but a recording of the program will be available a few days after the program airs: go to http://www.ctstv.com/calgary/player.php?ctsvidID=1

It would be great if people could phone in their questions.

NOTE: Dr. Alison Bested is one of the Medical Advisers for the the National ME/FM Action Network

Lydia E. Neilson, M.S.M.
Chief Executive Officer
National ME/FM Action Network
512 - 33 Banner Road
Nepean, ON K2H 8V7 Canada
Tel. (613) 829-6667 Fax (613) 829-8518
E-mail: ag922@ncf.ca
Web: http://www.mefmaction.net

MEKoan

Hey IF,

I have such mixed feelings about Bested. She priced herself right out of the picture for those disabled by ME/CFS and on Provincial disability and for those eking out a living on a reduced work schedule.

Because we have universal health care, I can see the best neurologist or infectious disease doc or, or, or... but I can't see Bested because you have to see her naturopath (or whatever she is) as well and for quite a few hours.

Years ago, I waited for months for my appt. with her only then to be told that she doesn't see anyone unless they see the naturopath, too. More time with Baune, the naturopath. There was no way I could afford to see anyone not covered by OHIP. I spoke to her office and reminded them that their system excluded many who were disabled. They said they knew that. I was so frustrated.

It goes against everything we believe about health care in this country. I don't know why a Canadian doc. would set up her practice in this way. It is so unusual. I've never been blocked from seeing a doc. in this country because they insist that I see another kind of practitioner at the same time. I've never been blocked from seeing a doctor because I could not afford it, either.

Leaves a bad taste.

leelaplay

Hi Koan,

Yikes. My mouth is puckering. ptchew. wipe. dab. excuse me.

I had never heard that about Dr Bested before. How upsetting. Thank you so much for letting us know. She was one of the authors of the Canadian Consensus Document. And from what I've been able to find out so far in trying to find Canada's mostly hidden advocacy groups, mefmaction seems as if it might be the best; they instigated the documents, got Health Canada involved, and put out the Overviews - and they brag of her being on their advisory committee?! One of the Canadian groups used to have (I hope it's used to) Dr Teitelbaum on their advisory committee as well. I hope that's not mefmaction.

okay - I have now started a file of projects that I want to do when I can. This is now on it with a star. I want to protest. To her. To mefmaction. To Health Canada. To the medical professional board. To the media...........................

arghhh

methinks she was perhaps misnomered 'best'ed. Or is it that she has bested the intentions of the Canadian medical system? - it sounds illegal to me.

if:(:Retro mad::worried::sad::scared:

leelaplay

It would be great if people could phone in their questions.

It seems that only a few smaller cable channels will carry this in BC so I can't phone in. All of metro Toronto will carry it on Rogers, channel 9. The phone number for Toronto is 905-331-7333. Not sure if they'll announce another number to use to call in during the show though.

Stuart

Koan, imagine being American without health insurance, being denied your states version of Medicaid because they are out of funds, only acceping applications by lottery for children and those with cancer - oh, and having a chronic condition is reason for denial. How does that taste?

If Tommy Douglas was American he would have been taken out by the insurance and pharmaceutical lobby.

MEKoan

Stuart,

I think about that a lot! I really do think about all the Americans who do not have access to medical care. We really do care about our big brother next door and we want him to be healthy and we want him to treat himself well!

I don't complain about our system. Some other Canadians may, sometimes, nothing is perfect but, as far as imperfect goes, we are doing just fine.

Please know you have my heartfelt concern. I wish it could be something more useful but it's all I have.

ETA In case my earlier post struck you as a criticism of our system it is not. We here in Canada have worked very hard to keep the system single tier where none can access better medical care because they have more money or any money, for that matter. This represents a Canadian value that most of us hold dear. It has been eroded of late which is sad.

And, in the case of Dr Bested, it looks like she is doing an end run around the system and it's a system I support.

I know I'm lucky. I'm so, so lucky!

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Is Canada's system changing?? I was one of the lucky ones that saw Dr Bruce Carruthers in Vancouver. Now there are no CFS doctors here- I see that there is Dr.Bested in Alberta now with extra charges not covered by medical? The other doctor I see on here is Dr. Hyde on Ottawa - you send him $3000.00 and then are on a 1-2 year wait list, so it looks like our system is going down????
glenp