• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fibromyalgia: the chronic pain that thwarted Lady Gaga’s tour

On Monday it was announced that Lady Gaga has cancelled her European tour, due to begin next week, because of “severe physical pain that has impacted her ability to perform”. She has fibromyalgia, and has made a Netflix documentary, Gaga: Five Foot Two, to raise awareness about this long-term condition. A statement says: “She plans to spend the next seven weeks proactively working with her doctors to heal from this and past traumas that still affect her daily life and result in severe physical pain in her body. She wants to give her fans the best version of the show she built for them when the tour resumes.”

Well, we’ve all heard of Lady Gaga, but fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) may be more of a mystery. It is a condition that is hard to diagnose, explain or treat. And many people with the condition say they struggle to get medical professionals to take their symptoms seriously. FMS is a long-term condition that causes widespread pain. Its debilitating symptoms include extreme tiredness, muscle aches, difficulty sleeping and concentrating; headaches and bloating are also common. In Lady Gaga’s case, it is easy to see how she may have initially put these problems down to touring and performing. But the fatigue and pains persist even when you rest, and can be far more draining than normal tiredness.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/19/fibromyalgia-chronic-disorder-lady-gaga-tour

Not a bad article I thought, although still bits that could be far better. Her being open about her FM could also be useful for other invisible illnesses as well hopefully.

NelliePledge

Not a bad article I thought, although still bits that could be far better. Her being open about her FM could also be useful for other invisible illnesses as well hopefully.
yes I thought it was a lot better than usual Guardian slant I almost feel like writing to them to ask as a so called "liberal left" paper why they only take chronic illness seriously when it is a celebrity who has it. That is so tabloid

Gingergrrl

There is another thread on Lady Gaga canceling her tour b/c of FM/severe pain but now I am not sure where it went!

Hajnalka

21761938_967288553408878_7109476339739232107_n.jpg