• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

febuxostat and inosine enhance cellular ATP in two mito diseases

pattismith

Treatment of two mitochondrial disease patients with a combination of febuxostat and inosine that enhances cellular ATP
Journal of Human Genetics (2019)

Abstract
Since mitochondria are energy-generating micro-organisms, most of the disorders in patients with mitochondrial diseases (mt-disease) are considered secondary to defects in ATP synthesis, although some other factors such as reactive oxygen species may be involved.

A simultaneous oral administration of febuxostat and inosine was reported to elevate both hypoxanthine and ATP levels in peripheral blood.

Based on those results, we attempted co-administration of febuxostat and inosine in two patients with mitochondrial disease: one patient with mitochondrial cardiomyopathy and the other patient with mitochondrial diabetes.
In the former case, brain natriuretic peptide (BNP), which is a specific marker for heart failure, was decreased by 31%, and in the latter case, the insulinogenic index increased 3.1 times, suggesting the favorable action of the treatment.

Considering that there is no effective treatment available for this disorder, the present therapy may be quite useful for the management of patients with mitochondrial diseases.

Last edited:

pattismith

NB: Febuxostat is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor, his goal is to limit the uric acid buildup from inosine intake, and to orient inosine metabolism to IMP and ATP synthesis

Another xanthine oxidase inhibitor that can be used is Inositol

edit:

this scientific trial fits with my own successful trial with

Inosine
(Inositol)
caffeine
ribose

explained here:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ease-symptomatology.62445/page-2#post-1019944

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ic-fatigue-syndrome.36750/page-2#post-1024249

Last edited:

pattismith

I took just one tablet of Inosine and it felt horrible. I stopped taking it. What could be the reason ?

did this bad effect happened quickly?

The good effect I get from Inosine takes about 1h30 to come, and lasts some hours. It comes probably from intracellular inosine effect, (and it reverses all my symptoms)., but I guess the bad effect from extracellular adenosine receptor activation will be quicker .

Adenosine receptors are A1 A2 and A3. They are activated by Inosine as well, but are blocked by caffeine (especially A1 and A2b). You probably experience a bad effect of inosine via activation of one or the other of the adenosine receptor (in my case, I quickly fall aslept.)

A2b receptors are well known to inhibit motor activity in the brain, so if you take caffeine with inosine, you will avoid this effect that makes you sleepy (this is my case and caffeine + Inosine works for me).

If caffeine + Inosine doesn't work for you, Theophylline is also a non specific adenosine inhibitor that can block adenosine receptors:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...tors-as-revealed-by-transgenic_fig1_233650442

https://www.slideshare.net/suyashbharat/adenosine-and-adenosine-receptors

Last edited:

raghav

I felt horrible within 15 -30 minutes of taking the medicine. I also tried d-ribose separately on two occasions DrsBest and Now foods and on both occasions it made me very sleepy and aggravated my IBS. I have not tried the combination that you are suggesting. Maybe I will try that. Thanks.

pattismith

I felt horrible within 15 -30 minutes of taking the medicine. I also tried d-ribose separately on two occasions DrsBest and Now foods and on both occasions it made me very sleepy and aggravated my IBS. I have not tried the combination that you are suggesting. Maybe I will try that. Thanks.
the bad effect you had from inosine is quick and likely the result of activation of adenosine receptors