• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA -Why You Shouldn't Use IVERMECTIN TO Treat or Prevent COVID

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
So when I read the info at that link, it seems to be talking about self-treatment and using products not made for humans.

Maybe you could clarify that in the title. I would hate for someone to refuse a prescribed treatment their doctor feels is helpful.

bensmith

Im in a long covid ivm group. Seems to be tolerated fairly well and many are seeig significant success.

Its also pretty much proven to improve outcomes for acute covid at this point. Not sure why the fda is issuing this warning.

If they dont want people treating themselves they need to update their protocols on the ground.

bensmith

@maple no im not, i will if i can. Having some bad days lately. There are studies out there showing ivm improved acute outcome.

there arent any for long covid and ivm, results seem to be mixed there, but some are seeing improvement.

Davsey27

@maple no im not, i will if i can. Having some bad days lately. There are studies out there showing ivm improved acute outcome.

there arent any for long covid and ivm, results seem to be mixed there, but some are seeing improvement.

@bensmith you mentioned your me/cfs was triggered by covid.Are you now getting negative results to the covid PCR after testing positive and still experiencing symptoms?

nerd

The problem with the FDA statement is that they base their advice on anecdotal reports of self-treatment with animal products and generalize this for Ivermectin. On the contrary, the NIH reviewed meta-studies and safety studies on human-rated Ivermectin products for their guidelines. They do not share the assessment of the FDA (NIH Treatment Guideline). No human COVID-19 Ivermectin trial could find a safety issue with this drug. The drug has one risk vector, though, which is the blood-brain barrier. Studies suggest that this might be genetically-inherited in the MDR1 gene (10.1186/1475-2883-2-S1-S8).

The problem with animal-rated antiparasitic Ivermectin is that not all additives are stated on animal products, but more importantly, that some products include other antiparasitics in addition to Ivermectin, for which there might not be even a human-rated version. I'm not saying this must be the reason for these anecdotal reports. It could also be an overdose, or the MDR1 gene, or an undetermined reason. The risk just isn't visible in the meta-data because the risks of COVID-19 are far more than anecdotal.

Rufous McKinney

Can you point to relevant literature or trial? I want to take this to my doc. Thanks.

The country of India has been using ivermectin for COVID-19....I don't have details other than it was in a packets given out to millions. India must have had some reasons to believe it would be helpful to their at that time unvaccinated population.

nerd

Regarding COVID-19 long haulers, there is one small preprint study suggesting successful treatment with Ivermectin from Chang et al.

33 adult patients with Persistent or Post-Acute Symptoms of COVID-19 were treated with Ivermectin. In 94% of the 33 patients, clinical improvement to some degree (partial or total) was observed after 2 doses of Ivermectin. Total improvement (without any symptoms) was observed in 87.9% of the patients after the 2 daily doses of Ivermectin. In 12.1% of patients whose symptoms had not been completely resolved after the first 2 doses, additional doses of Ivermectin treatment were administered according to the protocol, and total clinical resolution of symptoms was observed in 94% of cases.

They used high doses, though, due to short repeated-dose intervals and long half-time of IVM. Such a dosage isn't recommended by the NIH or FLCCC.

bensmith

Wow that number is huge. I guess that gives me a little more hope as i am starting tomorrow.

Wayne

I've found FDA publications and advisories to often be replete with dodgy writing, advice and information, that's all to frequently lacking in transparency. Below is a snippet from the above linked article. It says it has not reviewed data, but doesn't say whether or not there's data available that supports the use of ivermectin for COVID-19. And where to go to review that data (if there is any).

"The FDA has not reviewed data to support use of ivermectin in COVID-19 patients to treat or to prevent COVID-19; however, some initial research is underway. Taking a drug for an unapproved use can be very dangerous. This is true of ivermectin, too."
The messge often seems to be something like, "trust us, and don't do anything without our consent and approval, even though we often don't have any relevant information for you to consider". -- BTW, I've read a number of articles that give ample information and reason for a person to have legitimate interest into whether ivermectin could prove to be invaluable in the treatment or prevention of COVID-19.

Last edited:

Pearshaped

The country of India has been using ivermectin for COVID-19....I don't have details other than it was in a packets given out to millions. India must have had some reasons to believe it would be helpful to their at that time unvaccinated population.
Do we know how the indians are doing with it?