• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

favourite recipes/foods/menus

sarahg

Admin Assistant
I have been meaning to give this to islandfinn for a while. Then I forgot!
I have to warn that I have not made this recently so I do not remember how I converted it to quantities that I actually comprehend. Ah, British recipes...maybe someone can help with that. I usually use leftover mashed potatoes. I leave the skins on and add soymilk, butter or olive oil, fresh or roasted garlic and rosemary. But you can do whatever you want!

225g/8oz boiled potatoes
50g/2oz butter or olive oil
100g/4oz mix of rye/buckwheat/cornmeal ( I have done this with straight buckwheat and with bob's red mill gluten free flour blend, never tried what it actually called for but both were good)
salt
pepper
toppings (recipe recommends to pre-saute but I never bothered)
sauce or tomatoes (I would de-seed and de-juice the tomatoes to keep from mushyness)
cheese or cheese substitute of your choice. (please hold yourself back from cheese substitutes if possible, it's just not the same)

Mash potatoes, add flour, salt and pepper to make a dough, flour your counter or breadboard and knead lightly until soft and elastic. Roll into crust shape and place on oiled pan. add topping, sauce and cheese in whatever order you prefer. bake at 200 c or 400 f for 40 minutes.

The suggested toppings in the recipe are things like peppers and sweetcorn, neither of which I would ever put on any pizza so I figured you could just pick out your own. I think I used mushrooms garlic and broccoli, Chevre and yellow tomatoes with no sauce and it was fantastic.
This is my abbreviated version of a recipe that I actually got out of a book called...don't laugh... "Endometriosis- a Key to Healing and Fertility Through Nutrition" by Dian Shepperson Mills. some of the recipes are quite good, overall a very good book, actually.

Another good crust idea if you can use corn is to put polenta (cornmeal and water) in a pie pan, bake for about 30 minutes, top and rebake.

C

Cynthia

Food, organic!

Kolowesi, Victoria, Snez...love the recipe Kolowesi, and Victoria, I have--I guess what you could call..organic eggs. :) so..I am always looking for a recipe with eggs in it since I have them, abundantly. My chickens are laying really well right now. Summer time is when I can go more organic. Especially now, since my hubby got laid off from a job that he's been at for 25 years. :( Organic food is a bit more costly..so come this summer, more plants going in. I have the fruit trees, I love the squash and tomatoes, more.

Victoria

Chef and "guineapig" wanted to cook/sample this taste of Greece

Vegetable Fritatta

Could someone please make this & tell me what's it like. The recipe, cut out of a magazine long ago, has lain unmade in my favourite recipes file for so long, it's growing grey hairs & wrinkles.

It’s far too much work for me (these days) & I am back to being dairy intolerant, so all that sour cream would be out for me (but I have often substituted a plain continental style organic yogurt in place of sour cream, cream or cheese, which I seem to be able to digest more easily). If you split the work up over a day, so you didn’t have to stand or chop for too long, it might be accomplishable.

cup of fresh oregano seems quite a lot to me, but I’ve never made the recipe, so perhaps it’s a good strong flavour with the bland potatoes & zucchinis. And I would use goat or sheep’s fetta.

I suppose it’s a summer recipe really, but maybe someone has those vegetables growing in their garden, depending on what part of the world you live in, or can buy them out of season in their local supermarket.

See below picture for recipe & instructions:

picture.php

350g small new potatoes cup chopped fresh oregano
1 large red capsicum 1/3 cup pitted chopped black olivess
2 small green zucchini 6 eggs
2 small yellow zucchini 1 x 250g carton light sour cream
1 medium Spanish onion (red onion) 150g fetta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon olive oil red capsicum curls & fresh herbs to garnish
1 clove garlic, crushed
A bunch English spinach, shredded

1. Lightly grease a 22cm round cake pan; cover base with non-stick baking paper.
2. Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain. Quarter capsicum; remove seeds and membrane. Place ski-side up on an oven tray, grill until skin blackens; cool. Peel, cut into 2cm wide slices.
3. Cut zucchini n half lengthways; cut into slices. Cut onion in half; cut each half into eight wedges.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add garlic, zucchini and onion; cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until zucchini is just tender. Add spinach and oregano; cook, stirring, until just wilted. Stir in potatoes, capsicum and half the olives.
5. Spoon mixture into pan, pour over combined eggs and cream. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining olives.
6. Cook, uncovered, in a moderately slow oven, 160degrees C, for about 1 hours, or until cooked when tested. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown).
7. Serve warm or cold; garnish.

C

Cynthia

Ahh, there's eggs in that thar menu...may have to try it. On a good day that I can stand for a while at the counter and the stove. :) My hubby can help with this one. 6 eggs! I have that! I also already have a lot of the other ingredients. Looks yummy.

K

_Kim_

Kielbasa & Kale Soup

I created this soup earlier this week. Very yummy and beautiful, too.

Kielbasa & Kale Soup

1 ring Kielbasa, cut into small pieces
1 big bunch of Kale, washed and torn into pieces (I only used leaves, not the stalks)
3 stalks celery
4 carrots
3 quart-size boxes chicken broth (I used the Pacific Naturals Organic Free-range)
1 large orange sweet potato, cut into chunks
1 large white sweet potato, cut into chunks
1/2 cinnamon stick
splash of white wine vinegar
dash of concentrated balsamic vinegar
some Tabasco green sauce - maybe a tsp. worth
freshly ground black pepper

• Chop the celery and carrots and saute in a little butter in a soup pot.
  • Add chicken broth and the cinnamon stick. When this gets hot, add the kale and the sweet potatoes. (I took the cinnamon stick out before the veggies were done as I didn't want too much cinnamon flavor - just a bit).
  • While the veggies are cooking, brown the kielbasa in a large frying pan. When sufficiently cooked, remove, set aside and de-glaze the pan with a splash of white wine vinegar. Add this to soup.
  • For flavoring, I added about a teaspoon of green Tabasco sauce (milder), some freshly ground pepper, and a dash of my faux aged balsamic (I have a bottle of balsamic "sludge" that I made from taking 2 bottles of plain balsamic vinegar and slowly evaporating the liquid down to 1/2 bottle).
  • Add the kielbasa to the soup in the last 15 minutes

CJB

"Portugese" Soup for Jody

Okay - so my "Portugese" Soup looks a lot like Kim's Kielbasa and Kale Soup! Too funny.

This is from 500 Low-Carb Recipes, Dana Carpender

Portugese Soup

"If this were really authentic, it would have potatoes in it. But this decarbed version is delicious, and it's a full meal in a bowl. Read the lables on the smoked sausage carefully - they range from 1 gram of carb per serving up to 5."

1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups diced turnip
2 cups diced cauliflower
1 pound kale
1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage
1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
2 quarts chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
salt and pepper

1. Put 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large soup pot, and saute' the onion, garlic, turnip, and cauliflower over medium heat.

2. While that's cooking, chop the kale into bite-size pieces, and add it to the pot, as well. (You may need to cram it in at first, but don't worry - it cooks down quite a bit.) Let the vegetables saute' for another 10 minutes or so, stirring to turn the whole thing over every once and a while

3. Slice the smoked sausage lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat, and brown the smoked sausage a little.

4. Add the browned sausage, tomatoes, and 7 1//2 cups of the chicken broth to the kettle, and use the last 1/2 cup of broth to rinse the tasty browned bits out of the frying pan, and add that too. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft
(30 to 45 minutes). Stir in the Tabasco and salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Yield: 10 servings, each with 13 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber, for a total of 11 grams of usable carbs and 23 grams of protein.

CJ's note: The CFS method is to brown the sausage in the soup pot first and set it aside. Skip the step where you dirty a second pan and have to deglaze.