• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue and psychosocial variables in autoimmune rheumatic disease and CFS

hixxy

J Psychosom Res. 2017 Jan;92:1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2016.11.002. Epub 2016 Nov 14.

Fatigue and psychosocial variables in autoimmune rheumatic disease and chronic fatigue syndrome: A cross-sectional comparison.

Ali S, Matcham F, Irving K, Chalder T.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
Fatigue is common in autoimmune rheumatic diseases (ARD). This study compared symptom-related cognitions, beliefs, behaviours, quality of sleep, lack of acceptance and distress in participants with ARD such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), seronegative spondyloarthropathy (SpA), and connective tissue disease (CTD), and participants with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

METHODS:
303 participants with RA, SpA, CTD and CFS completed questionnaire measures of fatigue, social adjustment, cognitive-behavioural responses, lack of acceptance, distress and quality of sleep. The RA, SpA and CTD groups were first compared with each other. They were then combined into one group and compared with the CFS group.

RESULTS:
There were no statistically significant differences between the RA, SpA or CTD groups for any of the measures. The CFS group was more fatigued, reported more distress and sleep disturbance and had worse social adjustment than the ARD group after adjustment for age and illness duration. After adjustment for fatigue, age, and illness duration, the CFS group scored more highly on lack of acceptance and avoidance/resting behaviour while the ARD group showed significantly higher levels of catastrophizing, damage beliefs, and symptom focusing than the CFS group.

CONCLUSION:
Fatigue in rheumatic diseases may be perpetuated by similar underlying transdiagnostic processes. The ARD and CFS groups showed similarities but also key differences in their responses to symptoms. Specific aspects of treatment may need to be tailored towards each group. For example, lack of acceptance and avoidance behaviour may be particularly important in perpetuating fatigue in CFS.

Copyright © 2016. Published by Elsevier Inc.

KEYWORDS:
Acceptance; Cognitive behavioural responses; Fatigue; Rheumatology; Transdiagnostic

PMID: 27998507
DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2016.11.002

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27998507
http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(16)30481-0/fulltext

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"

Yup. In a strange sense this is for me a welcome extra Christmas present. I am used to work from this author being terrible. This one is also horrible. As someone who has tried to help people with rheumatic disease through their problems from a position largely of admitting my ignorance, but moderated by a little bit of successful science, I find it extraordinary that any scientist should treat people with either ME or RA as if they were laboratory rats in this way. And with total incompetence.

I now feel happy that I need have no reservations about my opinion of this body of work.

This is horrible, creepy, dysfunctional.

And by the way, fatigue in RA is due to TNF alpha. If you take away the TNF there is no fatigue. It disappears in the great majority of cases within a day or two. Removing the antibodies that stimulate the TNF takes longer but works as well.

while the ARD group showed significantly higher levels of catastrophizing, damage beliefs, and symptom focusing than the CFS group
Wow. There is a 'worse' group than the CFS group and they have an actual disease.
What does that mean ?

Maybe the CFS patients' beliefs are normal afterall?
Or if not, maybe the psychobabblers will move onto the ARD group cause clearly they need help more.

daisybell

Just the very idea of designing questionnaires to measure 'catastrophising', 'lack of acceptance' etc seems to be both incredibly lacking in empathy or any decent appreciation of how pain and fatigue can severely curtail the ability to live a decent enjoyable and productive life.

What rock do you have to crawl out from under to think this sort of stuff is ok?

The disdain is really horrifying.

SilverbladeTE

Is it just me or the authors are simply blaming patients for being sick? What service does that do to society? Oh, right... it serves the insurance companies.

Also serves rebirth of "Eugenics" attitudes, that is, really, the Elite want to get rid of those who don't benefit them by being their slaves.
if you aren't a brainwashed productive slave, they want rid of you.

They haven't yet got the idiots in society suitably brainwashed by evil swine like Rupert Murdoch's media to the point the Public are such cowardly hating assholes they will support gas chambers, neck shots etc
But they will eventually...look at recent politics in USA and UK.

Sean

Blasphemy! Wishing Trudi and the psychobabblers on another disadvantaged group.
The more different diseases they try this insanity on, the more the rest of medicine will come to see that it is insanity, and the more objections to it there are likely to be, including from people the babblers can't dismiss so easily as ratbag patients.

So, as cruel as it sounds, it may be to our advantage for them to try extending their dodgy franchise.

Last edited:

alkt

The more different diseases they try this insanity on, the more the rest of medicine will come to see that it is insanity, and the more objections to it there are likely to be, including from people the babblers can't dismiss so easily as ratbag patients.

So, as cruel as it sounds, it may be to our advantage for them to try extending their dodgy franchise.
the rest of the medical fraternity allow this meaningless garbage to exist because they do not like admitting their ignorance of human biology to do so would take a huge shift in the human ego . since none of us would like to admit that we are useless in some areas of our professions.

ash0787

Which university degree did these researchers do ? consider removing that degree from being taught

I dont see how you can have lack of acceptance of CFS and at the same time have an official diagnosis that qualifies you to participate in a medical study seeing as there isn't an objective test and diagnosis involves going to the doctor over and over again and telling them 'I got CFS I got CFS ' until they accept defeat.

I find it somewhat insulting that these people seem to suggest that our failure to interpret the world correctly is somehow meaningful in how our disease manifests itself, I have a very neutral, skeptical, objective and emotionally detached disposition and I was able for example to identify who would be the most popular candidate in the US election back in march, and I predicted the recent berlin terror attack to a timespan of a few days.