• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue: a distressing symptom for patients with irritable bowel syndrome.

ljimbo423

I am posting this to show the connection of irritable bowel syndrome (which is most often caused by dysbiosis) and the mild, moderate to severe fatigue it causes.

Making the connection to CFS, in which there is an extremely high percentage of people with IBS/dysbiosis and mild, moderate to severe fatigue.

I am convinced my CFS is rooted in my gut and am doing very well treating it.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Fatigue is a frequent symptom in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and is associated with poor quality of life.
However, few studies have evaluated its impact on daily life or the perceived distress it can cause. Using a multi-methods approach, this study describes the impact and manifestations of fatigue in patients with IBS and investigates the relationship between fatigue severity and illness-related and health-promoting factors.

METHODS:
A total of 160 patients with IBS completed self-reported questionnaires assessing fatigue, gastrointestinal symptoms, psychological distress, and sense of coherence. Fatigue was assessed with the Fatigue Impact Scale, which also includes structured and open-ended questions which were analyzed with a deductive qualitative analysis. Patients were classified as having severe, moderate, or mild fatigue based on frequency, distress and impact on daily life.

KEY RESULTS:
The open-ended questions revealed a multidimensional impact on life. Fatigue mainly interfered with the ability to perform physical activities, work, and domestic work, and the ability to interact socially. Decreased stamina was evident, along with strategies to limit the bodily consequences of tiredness. Severe fatigue was accompanied by more severe IBS symptoms, anxiety and depression and lower sense of coherence.

CONCLUSIONS & INFERENCES:
Fatigue is a distressing symptom which occurs in a sizeable proportion of patients with IBS. It affects life in a multidimensional way, with poor bodily stamina being the most prominent feature. Fatigue, along with sense of coherence, depression and anxiety, needs to be assessed, confirmed and targeted for interventions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27401139

Last edited:

pattismith

Fatigue in irritable bowel syndrome is associated with plasma levels of TNF-α and mesocorticolimbic connectivity - ScienceDirect

In IBS, fatigue impact on daily life was negatively correlated with the connectivity between Nucleus Acubens and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex bilaterally, while in HC, fatigue impact on daily life was positively correlated to the connectivity between the right Nucleus Acubens and anterior middle insula in both hemispheres.

We found significantly higher levels of TNF-α in IBS patients compared to HC as well as a positive correlation between TNF-α and fatigue impact on daily life in IBS patients but not in HC.

There was no association between functional connectivity in the mesocorticolimbic network and plasma levels of TNF-α in either group

In summary, this novel multimodal study provides the first evidence that the vulnerability to fatigue in IBS is associated with connectivity within a mesocorticolimbic network as well as immune activation.