• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fasting for reducing inflammation? (and hopefully neuroinflammation?)

Hi there,

My name is Dave. I currently present as about 65% on the ME Disability Scale.

I recently read this excellent article about what we can do to keep our brain healthy and help reduce the onset & severity of dementia. I was interested in whether fasting can help brain health so I asked the author of the article about it and they replied as follows:

1636459078207.png

I was very interested to read what the author said about fasting:
'fasting is thought to be helpful in reducing inflammation, including neuroinflammation'
as inflammation including neuroinflammation is one of the symptoms I experience with my ME/CFS.

A friend of mine recommended the following YouTube video:
which covers in detail what happens when you fast and when & how autophagy occurs.

I just wanted to ask: Have any people in this community tried fasting and have you found it to reduce your inflammation including neuroinflammation? And if so, how often do you fast, and how long do you fast for?

Many thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

BrightCandle

I have tried a variety of fasting and other dietry things in general. Currently I do a 24 hour fast every week. I do this fast for my gut, it weakens me and leaves me with less energy the entire day (fat oxidation is a problem in ME) but it often improves my gut function and combined with a lot probiotic intervention its gradually improving. I have also tried intermittent fasting and cycled on off every 24 hours. Definitely reduces gut distress, weakens and reduces energy that is about it.

Last edited:

Irat

Hi there,

My name is Dave. I currently present as about 65% on the ME Disability Scale.

I recently read this excellent article about what we can do to keep our brain healthy and help reduce the onset & severity of dementia. I was interested in whether fasting can help brain health so I asked the author of the article about it and they replied as follows:

View attachment 45547

I was very interested to read what the author said about fasting:

as inflammation including neuroinflammation is one of the symptoms I experience with my ME/CFS.

A friend of mine recommended the following YouTube video:
which covers in detail what happens when you fast and when & how autophagy occurs.

I just wanted to ask: Have any people in this community tried fasting and have you found it to reduce your inflammation including neuroinflammation? And if so, how often do you fast, and how long do you fast for?

Many thanks,
Dave
It is very stressful for your adrenals, I could not do it.

Wishful

I tried fasting for 5 days or 7 days (this was 20 years ago); no effect on my symptoms other than avoiding the flare-ups I had from type IV reactions to various foods. I haven't noticed any correlation between amount of food intake and ME symptoms. My opinion is to not expect any significant benefits from fasting unless you have some other medical condition that benefits from it.

I tried fasting for 5 days or 7 days (this was 20 years ago); no effect on my symptoms other than avoiding the flare-ups I had from type IV reactions to various foods. I haven't noticed any correlation between amount of food intake and ME symptoms. My opinion is to not expect any significant benefits from fasting unless you have some other medical condition that benefits from it.

Ok, thanks for letting me know @Wishful