• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Famvir (famciclovir) causing restlessness and agitation

hmnr asg

hi there,
I recently got on the Pridgen protocol (celebrex, 200mgx1 and famvir 500mgx2) and i initially started getting a substantial amount of energy. This was definitely surprising because i was 100% sure this was a quack solution. But being completely out of options i tried it. And it was in fact pretty helpful!

Until about 3 weeks after starting the protocol when i began having some weird symptoms at nights. I started feeling agitated, anxious, restless and generally a bit out of control and feeling a bit manic.

Interestingly the only other time i felt this way was when i tried NAC (n-acetylcysteine) or when my OCD was high (I have had OCD since before CFS).

So I stopped the famvir and the odd feelings went away but so did my gains in terms of energy.

My question now is:
1) could this have been really caused by famvir? i didnt read this in the side effects lists!
2) has anyone else had similar experiences with famvir? and if yes, what did you do to fix it?
3) pursuant to (2), should i lower my dose or just switch to a different antiviral?
4) isnt it a bit odd that i made improvements in terms of energy in less than a month? (i thought it would take at least 6 months)

Thank you all and sorry about all the questions!

Addendum:
A) Blood tests for viral titers:
* Herpesvirus 6 IgG 1:20 REFERENCE RANGE: <1:10
* HHV-6 DNA Not Detected
* CMV DNA Not Detected
* EBV DNA Not Detected
* VZV IgG Result Positive, VZV IgG Level 1.49 Index
* MYCOPLASMA PNEUMONIA AB IGG 1.47 REFERENCE RANGE: <=0.90
* Herpesvirus 6 IgG 1:20 REFERENCE RANGE: <1:10
* HSV-1 IgG Result Negative
* HSV-2 IgG Result Negative
* EBNA IgG Result Positive
* EBNA IgG Level 2.93 ISR
* EA IgG Result Negative
* VCA IgG Result Positive
* VCA IgG Level 7.77 ISR
* CMV IgG Result Positive
* CMV IgG Level 16 UA/ml UA/ml
B) Some additional information:
* I have also trigeminal neuralgia as well as some misc neurological symptoms

H

Last edited:

Jackb23

On valtrex I had the exact reaction you describe, but it happened within hours of taking it. My face also got extremely tingly. I have just started famvir and have not experienced the same side effects.

hmnr asg

Thank you for your response ,
I have since reduced my dose by half ( I tried going off completely but my fatigue levels spiked again ).
Next time I see my doctor I will ask to be switched to valtrex. Maybe I will have better luck with it .

Thanks again.

godlovesatrier

Did anyone ever try Novartis branded Famvir and did they have any side effects on it?

Also did anyone experience worsened memory loss and worsened dizziness/brain fog on Famvir? Even at low doses of 500mg once a day?

I've been doing great taking valtrex 1g per day but it's caused some odd symptoms and now what feels like kidney stone pain which comes and goes prob from the crystals. Also the valtrex is working prob took 3 weeks to see improvements.

I also experienced terrible post nasal drip on Famvir, especially at night. But I'd rather that than my kidneys got messed around with :)

Not sure if anyone knows what brand of Famvir they take, but I'd be interested to know waht brand you are on if you have very few side effects (apart from say headaches which seem very common).

Thanks,