• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fact-checking Judy Mikovits, the controversial virologist attacking Anthony Fauci in a viral conspiracy video | Science | AAAS

zzz

A rather damning article from Science Magazine, which is a publication of the AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science). The article does an excellent job of destorying any credibility that MIkovits may have left. It describes some really wild conspiracy theories by Mikovits on a variety of topics, and proceeds to debunk them one by one. Most of the article describes her work with ME/CFS, which is why it's in this forum.

Fact-checking Judy Mikovits, the controversial virologist attacking Anthony Fauci in a viral conspiracy video | Science | AAAS

Edit: An article covering similar ground has also been published in the Washington Post.

Last edited:

Hipsman

This "fact-checking" is similar to how "Facts about COVID-19": Swiss Propaganda Research Article does it. They follow a specific narrative by using "no evidence" on points she makes and focusing on one side of the story.
This is what I mean:
Mikovits: I wouldn’t use the word created. But you can’t say naturally occurring if it was by way of the laboratory. So it’s very clear this virus was manipulated. This family of viruses was manipulated and studied in a laboratory where the animals were taken into the laboratory, and this is what was released, whether deliberate or not. That cannot be naturally occurring. Somebody didn’t go to a market, get a bat, the virus didn’t jump directly to humans. That’s not how it works. That’s accelerated viral evolution. If it was a natural occurrence, it would take up to 800 years to occur.

Scientific estimates suggest the closest virus to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is a bat coronavirus identified by the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV). Its “distance” in evolutionary time to SARS-CoV-2 is about 20 to 80 years. There is no evidence this bat virus was manipulated.

Mikovits: Italy has a very old population. They’re very sick with inflammatory disorders. They got at the beginning of 2019 an untested new form of influenza vaccine that had four different strains of influenza, including the highly pathogenic H1N1. That vaccine was grown in a cell line, a dog cell line. Dogs have lots of coronaviruses.

There is no evidence that links any influenza vaccine, or a dog coronavirus, to Italy’s COVID-19 epidemic.

Now to her past, I wasn't sick during XMRV 2011 investigations, so I didn't follow the story closely, but from what I know it's still remains a conspiracy, b/c there is no evidence that big pharma wasn't involved in XMRV follow up studies.

I highly doubt we will ever know the truth about what really happened in her past since there is "no evidence" and it's undeniable that big pharma and insurance companies are heavily involved in manipulating the story with ME/CFS. Also it's undeniable that being unable to sue vaccine companies just shows how much power big pharma has and how easily they can manipulate the narrative.

But hey, it's much easier to ignore all this and focus on narratives these big corporations push about anti-vaxxers and now this.

Hipsman

There's also no evidence that I wasn't involved in XMRV follow up studies, try again.
You mean big pharma has about as much interest in XMRV studies as PwME?

That was not a good wording of me saying that big pharma/insurence companies have agenda of keeping ME/CFS as a mental condition and anyone who is trying to prove otherwise they consider a threat, they did enough harm as it is by changing ME to CFS and adding mental health parts to it's pathology, so they could escape paying insurance money.

Pearshaped

I dont know much about the XMRV story either.But it makes one wonder...

if she were just a crazy woman, why would they put so much effort to make people think she is wrong about covid?(and other things) there are lots of others who think similar about covid..so why tearing her apart?

What are others here thinking about her?

Diwi9

Administrator

YippeeKi YOW !!

if she were just a crazy woman, why would they put so much effort to make people think she is wrong about covid?(and other things) there are lots of others who think similar about covid..so why tearing her apart?
Probably because she's serving a political and personal agenda using logical syllogisms, specious arguments, faulty reasoning, juked stats, and pandering to the lively, receptive conspiracy crowd. And possibly auditioning for the usual one man audience in the WH, 'cause cabinet and advisor positions seem to open up on a regular and predictable schedule:

Here's another article on the subject, for what it's worth here:

If You Found That ‘Plandemic’ Video Convincing, Read This Too ...
https://vitals.lifehacker.com/if-yo...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-05-09

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

Now to her past, I wasn't sick during XMRV 2011 investigations, so I didn't follow the story closely, but from what I know it's still remains a conspiracy, b/c there is no evidence that big pharma wasn't involved in XMRV follow up studies.
Absence of evidence does not automatically, or even peripherally, lend itself to the creation of credible evidence that's based on speculation and unsubstantiated theories with no supportive facts.

Hipsman

Please direct me to that, I must have missed it. All I could find of yours were suppositions, theories, and air castles ...
That was not a good wording of me saying that big pharma/insurence companies have agenda of keeping ME/CFS as a mental condition and anyone who is trying to prove otherwise they consider a threat, they did enough harm as it is by changing ME to CFS and adding mental health parts to it's pathology, so they could escape paying insurance money.

YippeeKi YOW !!

That only addresses your position on ME/CFS, not COVID and Mikovits' unsubstantiated, fringe "theories". And even so, it contains a lot of unsupported assumptions, absent citations and 'proof' ....

It's perfectly OK to have theories and beliefs that aren't supported by anything tangible, we all construct our own realities to one degree or another, but it's probably better not to put them forward as Gospel ...

Last edited:

JES

I highly doubt we will ever know the truth about what really happened in her past since there is "no evidence" and it's undeniable that big pharma and insurance companies are heavily involved in manipulating the story with ME/CFS. Also it's undeniable that being unable to sue vaccine companies just shows how much power big pharma has and how easily they can manipulate the narrative.

Those of us who actually followed the case back in the days have a pretty good idea of what happened with regards to her XMRV research. Mikovits herself is on record for admitting the virus "is not there" (video). None of her results ever replicated in a number of studies that were done across the globe.

Hipsman

Those of us who actually followed the case back in the days have a pretty good idea of what happened with regards to her XMRV research. Mikovits herself is on record for admitting the virus "is not there" (video). None of her results ever replicated in a number of studies that were done across the globe.
Thank you. That clears allot of things to me :)