• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme Lead and postprandial neuro Symptoms

judyinthesky

My ME and myself have a problem with food.

I can only eat on a benzo. Otherwise eating small amounts and sometimes even drinking, such as five blueberries and five almonds, will lead to hours of unbearable lead in the body mostly followed by extreme "panic" attacks and a lowering of my mental stamina to the point of suicidality. It's like a neurological elephant on my chest, strangling me, and it usually starts about an hour after eating.
This becomes more and more severe the lower my baseline.

This is all mechanical. (I love food and eating. And I love life). Sometimes it will ease over the course of weeks and months, I will be able to eat without the benzo and have more energy, then it will hit me hard again and I am back to not being able to eat at all.

I have severe pancreas insufficiency as well, but this is all mechanical and neurological.

The way I survive is by splitting food, non solid foods, spread so that I only eat when my heart is also not too high.
Also my mental health is great when fasting.

I eat most of my food after a benzo in the evening.
I've tried antihistamines and mast cell stabilisers to no avail, even though I still take them.

For some in a crash other digestive organs seem to stop working. Maybe it's my pancreas and the nerves related to it.

Eating and the psychiatric component this brings is my nemesis.
It's probably the reason that I decline constantly, as it's almost impossible to pace that way.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?
When I was mild it was the same, but just a short 1 hour period of lead and a little grumpiness, from which I would recover quickly.

In the very severe form this becomes an act of survival and psycho terror as well.
I also don't understand why it can recover so well, and then be way below the baseline over night, without any warning or me doing anything differently!

Looking for a tiny bit of control...
Or experience with this, probably from the very severe.

Irat

My ME and myself have a problem with food.

I can only eat on a benzo. Otherwise eating small amounts and sometimes even drinking, such as five blueberries and five almonds, will lead to hours of unbearable lead in the body mostly followed by extreme "panic" attacks and a lowering of my mental stamina to the point of suicidality. It's like a neurological elephant on my chest, strangling me, and it usually starts about an hour after eating.
This becomes more and more severe the lower my baseline.

This is all mechanical. (I love food and eating. And I love life). Sometimes it will ease over the course of weeks and months, I will be able to eat without the benzo and have more energy, then it will hit me hard again and I am back to not being able to eat at all.

I have severe pancreas insufficiency as well, but this is all mechanical and neurological.

The way I survive is by splitting food, non solid foods, spread so that I only eat when my heart is also not too high.
Also my mental health is great when fasting.

I eat most of my food after a benzo in the evening.
I've tried antihistamines and mast cell stabilisers to no avail, even though I still take them.

For some in a crash other digestive organs seem to stop working. Maybe it's my pancreas and the nerves related to it.

Eating and the psychiatric component this brings is my nemesis.
It's probably the reason that I decline constantly, as it's almost impossible to pace that way.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?
When I was mild it was the same, but just a short 1 hour period of lead and a little grumpiness, from which I would recover quickly.

In the very severe form this becomes an act of survival and psycho terror as well.
I also don't understand why it can recover so well, and then be way below the baseline over night, without any warning or me doing anything differently!

Looking for a tiny bit of control...
Or experience with this, probably from the very severe.
This is common not only in ME but also with drug withdrawal,MCS etc. I do have experienced this many times on and off (but not as severe as you have it)

My guess is that in the gut are gaba receptors,neurons and the vagus nerve. And stomach signals could be interpreted for example as anxiety and other Neuro symptoms

I know that ppl for this reason you prescribe only eat once a day.

I don t know what you could do about it,other than ignoring it,or watching out which food or what time of the day makes it easier

Last edited:

judyinthesky

This is common not only in ME but also with drug withdrawal,MCS etc. I do have experienced this many times on and off (but not as severe as you have it)

My guess is that in the gut are gaba receptors,neurons and the vagus nerve. And stomach signals could be interpreted for example as anxiety and other Neuro symptoms

I know that ppl for this reason you prescribe only eat once a day.

I don t know what you could do about it,other than ignoring it,or watching out which food or what time of the day makes it easier

Thank you
I only eat one time a day indeed, in the evening, since becoming severe

Zebra

The physical component sounds a lot like an esophageal spasm.

They are extremely painful, and, in my case, illicit a massive stress response (palpitations, lightheadedness, feel like I might pass out).

Also, I was originally prescribed liquid diazepam to ease the spasm and resulting symptoms. I believe diazepam is a benzo, but I'm not certain.

In any case, I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Last edited:

judyinthesky

The physical component sounds a lot like an esophageal spasm.

They are extremely painful, and, in my case, illicit a massive stress response (palpitations, lightheadedness, feel like I might pass out).

Also, I was originally prescribed liquid diazepam to ease the spasm and resulting symptoms. I believe diazepam is a benzo, but I'm not certain.

In any case, I'm sorry this is happening to you.

There's not any pain. Just psychological terror and nausea. Yes diazepam would be a benzo.
I get panic attacks from eating, but not the feeling of passing out.

It's better when my ME energy is better, but it is like constant little assaults on my nervous system. Hence the fast decline I guess, because I get mechanically provoked every day what other people get only in extreme stress.

And I'm very stress resistant usually.
To me it feels very mechanical. Just like some people's stomach works only outside a crash in gastroparesis, I feel mine is related to a different gastro nerve, that unluckily is also directly related to the brain.

judyinthesky

So to clarify: eating ALWAYS makes my nervous system sensitive and high, the effects are stronger the less energy is in the body.

Zebra

I wish you the best of luck in sorting this out. It sounds very miserable.

When something similar, but different, was happening to me, I DREADED eating. I really feel for you.