• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

extracorporeal photopheresis

Gingergrrl

Just to say you that I stopped photopheresis treatment after 4 sessions.

I am so sorry that the photopheresis did not work out and hoping you will find the treatment that is right for you. I wish we were not all so different!

pattismith

Hi everyone,

Just to say you that I stopped photopheresis treatment after 4 sessions.

I started feeling really weak after the third session and wanted to have a fourth to see.

After the fourth session, I wasn't able to stand up and needed a whelchair to come back at home. I ended up in severe crash during 5 days (in dark room not able to talk and very difficult to eat and drink).

My internist doctor advised me to stop the treatment. It was a very difficult time because I worked so hard to access it.

I am now at home in my severe baseline condition.

There is no side effect about the treatment itself, but i was drained after each session.
The stamina was affected and sleep too.
I haven't noticied any effect on my symptoms (cognitive dysfunction, constant head pressure, sore throat, PEM).

After testing several immunomodulatory drugs/treatments (high dose prednisone, imuran, photopheresis), it seems that my condition is driven by an other mechanism.

David

so sorry for you David,
but at least you tryed and you get no regret.

if you have diffuse head pressure, why not trying Diamox?

Frenchguy

how do you know about CD8 clonal expansion? I thought that's measured only in research
Thanks

It was not measured. Given my % of CD8, my doc said it was probable I have CD8 expansion.

This measure isn't realized only in research, but in hospitals lab's to diagnose some cancers.

Frenchguy

so sorry for you David,
but at least you tryed and you get no regret.

if you have diffuse head pressure, why not trying Diamox?

Hi,

I have head pressure but i don't think it's related to intracranial hypertension. It's worsen when I do cognitive tasks like read or write, or to focus on a precise thing with my eyes.

It's seem to be related to PEM. Diamox is know to lower bicarbonate in blood and can cause acidosis. Given the high lactate found in ME/CFS and the fact I have an high anion gap, i don't want to worsen this metabolic problem.

Tomorow, I will see my internist to have blood lactate level before and after walking a little to see.

David