• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experiencing Anxiety and trapped feelings - psychological / physiological

DogLover

>>>I've looked and all I found was a bit about dry skin and yellowing. I've read that it boosts GABA receptor sensitivity. Do you have any sources or words of advice? <<<

Liver toxicity leading to the need for liver transplants.

OH!!!! Yeah, with long term heavy use, yes, I did read about that.

DogLover

I had really devastating, almost deadly, panic/anxiety issues for almost 2 years. It's hard to describe credibly to anyone who hasnt experienced it, but they were incapacitating, and relentless to the point of making me suicidal.

Seeking help from the medical community was useless, and deepened both the devastation and the sense of hopelessness.

To make a long story short, what helped me was researching the CNS and the brain, and then GABA and glutamate.

This led to more research, and finally stumbling on some info re magnesium's ability to block NMDA receptors and inhibit calcium ion channels.

Wow! I had nearly the same thing happen to me, but off the charts anxiety/panic lasted for about three months.

Trying to relate that absolute horror to another is nearly impossible. I remember endlessly walking for hours and hours and hours. I would get up around 4AM and walk all day. It was horrible. Another thing is that I couldn't sit down long enough to eat. I paced the entire time. It was horrible and I'm surprised I didn't kill myself.

Two things finally helped: benadryl and realizing the anxiety was caused by Effexor withdrawal, which I was able to reinstate. The benadryl made me think that the Effexor w/d was triggering some sort of immune response. After researching that I went onto a restricted diet and took some supps to reduce inflammation and fight candida. It really has helped tremendously.

I'm still fighting lack of dopamine and a little bit of anxiety, but it has been slowly melting away.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

It was horrible and I'm surprised I didn't kill myself.
You're right. It's impossible to describe adequately to anyone who hasnt been there. It's a particular kind of bottomless, topless, sideless hell that gives no quarter and takes no prisoners ..... it just goes on and on and on.

I came so close to suicide that DB removed his collection of antique guns to storage, since many of them were still fire-able, and quietly spirited away all my kitchen knives.

Ive been thru a lot, including the ME, which I was going thru at the same time, and cancer, and a near-deadly bout of mono when I was about 8 or 9, and I could whine on an on, but it's boring and unkind to the reader. Just trust me: I have stuff to measure those two-plus years against, and the two-plus years wins, hands down.
Two things finally helped: benadryl and realizing the anxiety was caused by Effexor withdrawal,
I tried Benadryl butit had a paradoxical effect and brought me way closer to edge of the cliff.

I went to the ER when I thought I was having a heart attack, and after an inept nurse ripped apart my last good vein (hundreds and hundreds of IV's and blood-draws during and after cancer ruined most of them), the Dr glanced into the exam room and almost literally threw a Rx for Ativan at me before spinning on his heels and sprinting down the hall.
I'm still fighting lack of dopamine and a little bit of anxiety, but it has been slowly melting away.
I'm soooooo glad to hear that, @DogLover .... you hang in, and be careful with seductively attractive alternative healing substances. You never know how big the fangs are, or how sharp :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug::hug::hug: ....

Booble

Add me to the unknown cause of panic attacks.
Heart pounding, endless shaking and difficult breathing for no apparent reason.
Engaging my complex thinking part of the brain helped overtake the amygdala a bit. (Sounds weird but I had a mini rubik's cube I focused on) and deciding it might be mold related.
I'm convinced now that it was a combo of mold and peri-menopause. I posted about that some where else but you'd be shocked at the not talked about perimenopause symptoms.

Booble

OH!!!! Yeah, with long term heavy use, yes, I did read about that.

You might want to double check as the stuff I had come across was not from long term heavy use. But I was researching actual kava drinking not supplement pills.

DogLover

That's great that you haven't felt like you needed it!

Since you are a dog lover, do you find petting and snuggling with your dog helps?

Well, that's not such happy news. Sadly, my beloved pet passed away a couple of years ago and with my anxiety/depression attacks I didn't want to take on any responsibilities. I donate my time walking friend's dogs and now a bird, so I get to hang out with dogs.

Last edited:

ljimbo423

Candida. I battled candida for a few months. I'm not 100% sure that I had a candida problem, but remember a reduction in anxiety after a few heroic episodes in the bathroom.

I took 2 courses of Rifaximin ( an antibiotic that only works in the small intestine and isn't absorbed by the body) for SIBO 4 years ago. It completely stopped moderate to severe anxiety attacks I had been getting for 43 years!!

It's clear to me that bacteria in my small intestine were causing my anxiety attacks. It's very common for people with SIBO to have a lot of anxiety, research shows.

DogLover

I took 2 courses of Rifaximin ( an antibiotic that only works in the small intestine and isn't absorbed by the body) for SIBO 4 years ago. It completely stopped moderate to severe anxiety attacks I had been getting for 43 years!!

It's clear to me that bacteria in my small intestine were causing my anxiety attacks. It's very common for people with SIBO to have a lot of anxiety, research shows.

Perhaps I'll look at that if need be. Over the last couple of years I took a few steps, each one lowering my anxiety. The first one was quitting gluten. That drastically reduced my anxiety. Then, I quit sugar and dairy and again that lowered my anxiety. At that point my anxiety was pretty low, but I could still feel some anxiety/depression. So, on March 2 I had my last serving of eggs and for that last couple of days I must say I'm feeling.... no..... anxiety?!?!?! OK, maybe just a little, but it's really low. So, I'm thinking that eggs were the last thing, but I will of course have to test it a few times to be sure.

So, my diet is down to meatwater, LOL. It's not quite that bad, but I'm down to meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds! (herbs and spices OK)

Last edited:

Emmarose47

@Emmarose47
I think Ive already posted about this to you, but I don't trust my memory, so here it is again:

I had really devastating, almost deadly, panic/anxiety issues for almost 2 years. It's hard to describe credibly to anyone who hasnt experienced it, but they were incapacitating, and relentless to the point of making me suicidal.

Seeking help from the medical community was useless, and deepened both the devastation and the sense of hopelessness.

To make a long story short, what helped me was researching the CNS and the brain, and then GABA and glutamate.

This led to more research, and finally stumbling on some info re magnesium's ability to block NMDA receptors and inhibit calcium ion channels.

This is all really easy and quick to type out here, but it took me upwards of a year because my cognitive, focus, and brain, already severely affected by ME, were further damaged by whatever tipped me over into a constant, chest-ripping, head-exploding, shaking, quivering, vomiting state of panic that lasted pretty much all day every day.

I started trialing magnesium, and after trying multiple different forms, settled on mag glycinate, and after that, discovered that for me, dosing 50 mgs of mag gly and 250-500 mgs of Vit C pretty much constantly finally started turning things around, whereas larger doses of 200 to 400 mgs did absolutely nothing. I was taking doses at 45 to 60 min intervals, with mag intake as high as 2400 mgs or more a day.

Because the mag was bound to glycine, which is a large molecule and needs to be broken down in the stomach (unlike mag citrate, mag oxide, etc which are small molecules and shoot thru the stomach straight to the colon) over a longer period than other forms, it didnt cause the usual diarrhea effect that almost all other forms of mag induce.

When things were really bad, I added small amounts of melatonin, about .25 mcgs, tho I cant say for sure that helped.

That;s the best I have to offer, and I hope it helps. If you need more input or info, do tag me ....

EDITED FOR one glaring mistake and God knows how many typos :bang-head::bang-head: ....

Hi yippee thanks for your response and sharing .. sorry to hear u suffered for so long and so pleased you found something that worked for.you .. that's interesting ...I take.mag malate but I could look into this also high dose.vit c sound good ...I feel.i could use that vitality

YippeeKi YOW !!

I take.mag malate
Mag malate was one of the varieties I trialed, with absolutely no benefit that I could pinpoint.

And even the mag gly didnt work at normal dosage and normal intervals. It wasn't until, in desperation, I broke it down into small 50 mg doses almost constantly applied that it started doing the good stuff.

I hope you find an answer, @Emmarose47 ..... constant anxiety is a particularly finely honed hell all its own ... :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug: ...

Emmarose47

Mag malate was one of the varieties I trialed, with absolutely no benefit that I could pinpoint.

And even the mag gly didnt work at normal dosage and normal intervals. It wasn't until, in desperation, I broke it down into small 50 mg doses almost constantly applied that it started doing the good stuff.

I hope you find an answer, @Emmarose47 ..... constant anxiety is a particularly finely honed hell all its own ... :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug: ...

Thanks ..so with the 50mg doses how often do you take that and up to what limit in a day ?

YippeeKi YOW !!

Thanks ..so with the 50mg doses how often do you take that and up to what limit in a day ?
I think I said in my first post on this that I was taking 50 mgs as often as every 45 to 60 minutes, with 250 or 500 mgs of Vit C every few doses, and as much as 2400 mgs-plus a day, but that was when I was really, really, REALLY bad. No ill effects, and it slowly but steadily hammered back the crippling panic attacks and anxiety ....

Now that those are done and dusted, knock wood, I still take 50 mgs every few hours, with 250 to 500 mgs of Vit C. It seems to be working. At least, the panic hasnt returned and I think I'm assimilating my Vit D supplement effectively, which magnesium is absolutely crucial for ....

I cant guarantee that it'll work for you, tho at least one other person who PM'd me about this and then tried it had pretty good success.

That could be a fluke. The tough thing about ME is that there's no-one-size-fits-all, tho they often fit at least a few and with something like prolonged, agonizing anxiety/panic, I would think that it might have a wider range ....

Here's hoping :woot::woot: :thumbsup: :hug: !!!!