• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exosomes Released by Immune Cells Can Cause COPD, Study Finds

junkcrap50

Article:
https://copdnewstoday.com/2019/01/1...es-pathogenic-entities-destruction-copd-lung/

Paper:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2018.12.002
Abstract:
Here, we describe a novel pathogenic entity, the activated PMN (polymorphonuclear leukocyte, i.e., neutrophil)-derived exosome. These CD63+/CD66b+ nanovesicles acquire surface-bound neutrophil elastase (NE) during PMN degranulation, NE being oriented in a configuration resistant to α1-antitrypsin (α1AT). These exosomes bind and degrade extracellular matrix (ECM) via the integrin Mac-1 and NE, respectively, causing the hallmarks of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Due to both ECM targeting and α1AT resistance, exosomal NE is far more potent than free NE. Importantly, such PMN-derived exosomes exist in clinical specimens from subjects with COPD but not healthy controls and are capable of transferring a COPD-like phenotype from humans to mice in an NE-driven manner. Similar findings were observed for another neutrophil-driven disease of ECM remodeling (bronchopulmonary dysplasia [BPD]). These findings reveal an unappreciated role for exosomes in the pathogenesis of disorders of ECM homeostasis such as COPD and BPD, providing a critical mechanism for proteolytic damage.

Graphical Abstract
fx1.jpg

Pathogenic exosomes! Could be a exosome pathology towards mitochondria in ME/CFS.

Murph

:)
Article:
https://copdnewstoday.com/2019/01/1...es-pathogenic-entities-destruction-copd-lung/

Paper:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2018.12.002

Pathogenic exosomes! Could be a exosome pathology towards mitochondria in ME/CFS.

Great find. It is most likely in a new research field- like exosomes - that we find the answer to me/cfs. Because if it was something obvious like an antibody or a virus we probably would have found it already! Now, this is not a *great* filter to use to see if something is actually likely to be true. But it is certainly a reason to not rule things out!

roller

wiggle jiggle
was looking up that COPD - EXOSOME - FLUOROQUINO, too...

there is...
Here we report for the first time that ciprofloxacin induced the release of both mitochondrial and chromosomal DNA associated with the surface of Exosomes (EXOs).

Formation of Exosomes can be induced by certain substances like the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin.
science/wiki quotes from other site

perhaps... "exosomes" are not all bad ?
what exactly does it mean regarding cipro - exosomes ?

could it be, that (e.g.) "exosome formation" by cipro is good for some - with COPD/mucus ?
Cipro is commonly prescribed for COPD, i understand

i have annoying mucus probs (nose, throat) since all times.
seen as "chronic sinusitis" (no mast cell release) when i was clear like a breeze.
no allergies to any "clinically" tested things.
take one 100mg fluoroquinolone and mucus is gone (for a while).

perhaps also possible, that cipro shoots down everyone so thoroughly, that some exosomes dont bother anymore... means, the exosome-effect of cipro may not matter in COPD ?

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
... who*s bad ?

Exosomes 'swarm' to protect against bacteria inhaled through the nose
Date: November 12, 2018 Source:Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary

In studies of sinus inflammation...

When cells at the front of the nose detect a bacterial molecule, they trigger a receptor called TLR4, which stimulates exosome release.

...within those exosomes, a protective enzyme, nitric oxide synthase, also doubles in amount. As a well-known antimicrobial molecule, nitric oxide potently arms each exosome to defend against bacteria.

The exosome "swarm" process gets an assist from another natural mechanism of the nose -- mucocilliary clearance.

...showed that these stimulated exosomes were as effective as antibiotics at killing the bacteria.

Finally, the team showed that the exosomes were rapidly taken up by other epithelial cells, where they were able to "donate" their antimicrobial molecules.

...may have implications for new methods of delivering drugs through the airway to be developed. More specifically, as natural transporters, exosomes could be used to transfer inhaled packets of therapeutics to cells along the upper airway -- and possibly even into the lower airways and lungs.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181112082414.htm

Murph

:)
... who*s bad ?

Exosomes 'swarm' to protect against bacteria inhaled through the nose
Date: November 12, 2018 Source:Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary

This is a good point. Exosome is just a category of thing. Like cells or bacteria. There' smany kinds of exosome. The problematic one - if it exists - could be hard to find.

roller

wiggle jiggle
perhaps, its the "interference" with exosomes that makes cipro / fluoroquinolones so effective ?

would be interesting to know, why it helps some so hugely, while others have so strong and quite immediate negative reactions...

they are a biomarker for (quite) sure, i think.
even if filtered out, there should be the question (to solve) where they come from...

Last edited: