• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excitotoxicity

judyinthesky

@YippeeKi YOW !! You fought through seems to mean you managed it better at some point?

With me, it got better after a year, but I started with a healthy body, and funnily, the more anxiety left me, the more fatigue I got. Was it similar with you? What was your strategy?
While in my first illness history, everything was very mental (panic attacks, depression, but also IBS like), after the vaccine, it is mainly physical. I feel anxiety symptoms mainly in my body, not in my head. There it's an inconvenience noise.

There also don't seem to be many though who dissociated 8 hours into the Biotech vaccine.
To me that's also a form of physical anxiety without the trigger of anxiety.
It feels like this vaccine changed me. I was so happy to get it. ;(

And now of course I am thinking why that might be, this mega reaction compared to others. I've always had a tendency of a "stuck" body, one that exhibited some forms of anxiety without feeling it. Like sweaty and cold hands. Not sure whether it's stemming from childhood anxiety, but I don't know. Like my nervous system got stuck in a panic attack and that is crushing my body. Can anyone relate?

I know though that I would feel the excitotoxicity sensations first in a crash. It's like my CFS is not so severe on the physical front, but always on the mental front, and started with it. That'd ALWAYS a strong mental aspect in every crash. Hence my thinking about a strategy, ADs, clever and limited use of benzos?
My other theory is that I have a strong natural sympathetic nervous system, and my thyroidectomy, less thyroid hormones, and my pancreas illness contributed to my illness onset. I've never had issues before my thyroid came out and not any psychological issues before pancreas illness (which might influence the nervous system via broken gut).

Does, by the way, adrenaline sort of counter act the process?
Obviously does distraction. But there's a point when that's not possible anymore.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Was it similar with you? What was your strategy?
I posted about it to you on the previous page. Another poster mention magnesium, which is what finally worked for me. Too tired to post it all again, but, as I said, you'll find it one page back.
You fought through seems to mean you managed it better at some point?
Yes. It was a long, ugly battle that I almost lost, and my heart goes out to you. Particualrly since Drs aren't particularly good at dealing with this.

They inevitably throw anti-d's ad antianxiety meds at it, the latter being the road to real hell. Approach with caution.

I think I asked you in one of my earlier posts to you on this thread if you were taking Ativan, since that could be a causative or contributing factor in what you're going thru now.
Like my nervous system got stuck in a panic attack and that is crushing my body.
It could be a genetic predisposition to disregulated glutamate/GABA ... this would make your system more sensitive to anything that might disrupt that delicate balance ....
clever and limited use of benzos?
I dont know that there's any clever and limited use of benzos, because inevitably, the human instinct is to stick with what gives it peace, and benzos will give you that, until they don't.

And the road back from that is really, really, seriously bad .... and hard .... and for some, insurmountable ....

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of looking for other, more natural ways to deal with your atypical anxiety. They're rarely a quick fix, tho you should start feeling some benefit fairly soon, but the major impact takes time to build.

Again, I urge you to go back to the previous page, where I posted some info for you about all this. Or just go to the top of any page, and at the far right, second from the end, you'll see 'ALERTS', usually with a littl red box with a number in it/ If you click on that, it will show you everyone who's quoted something you wrote and who's responded to it, or who's tagged you. It's an easy and helpfulway to keep up with responses to the questions you've posted in these threads. I know how easy it is to get lost here ....
Hence my thinking about a strategy, ADs,
I wouldnt recommend them. They work on different issues, tho they do use neurotrnsmitters like serotonin, etc, but not in a way that would help with what you're going thru in terms of apparent glutamate disfunction ...
Does, by the way, adrenaline sort of counter act the process?
WHich process? NOt sure what you mean here ....
Obviously does distraction. But there's a point when that's not possible anymore.
I hear you. Distraction is a great balm, once you can get to a point of focus that allows that.

The trick is getting to that point.

Just tag me if I can be of any further help .... I deeply understand that hell you're going thru, or at least part of it.

As far as the thyroid removal, I'm assuming that the Drs put you on replacement thyroid hormones, hopefully, the ore natural ones as opposed to Synthroid, etc. You might want to ask them for a FULL thyroid panel, which would include T3, T4 free-T3, whatever's in your system that might or might not be doing the job and whose presence or absence, can be measured .... the absence of a thyroid gland can definitely cause difficulties if not properly overseen by someone knowledgeable ....

Hang in. There;s better answers than benzos :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous: , and you'll find them here in these threads with a little digging and poking around ....:thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug::hug: ....

judyinthesky

@YippeeKi YOW !! Thanks so much.
I will check it all out.
Was your way of going out of the wiredness also via more fatigue? And what level of ME were you then and how is it now? That puzzles me about my last time: less anxiety, more fatigue.
Also I would love to know, whether you also had first no windows of "normality", then more of them and more of them, and then the windows moved from "anxiety" attacks to "depression" windows, then to nervous inconvenience windows. For that I worked and suffered hard. You can imagine what I have lost in the vaccination process! I am taken away that plus given more fatigue, I don't know what my body will do this time.

With process I meant the whole wired state.

I am very good with suffering and I don't like the feeling of benzos. I use them sparingly and have managed to get through so many attacks two years ago. But there I was in a state where I was able to be distracted. This is another level with a bedridden body!

I wonder sometimes whether I suffer too much, and if used sparingly for the harder times, it would lead to a better recovery.
At some point I used the combination of passion flower and antihistamines and they've helped me. But I wasn't that far out then.

Generally this all feels very fluctuating for me and has the last time. Wonder what my body and neurotransmitters will do this time.

What I know is that that psych ride is sucking energy also.

@Hip

May I ask if you have data backing this information? I have long Covid with cfs symptoms including PEM (mostly in bed since 2,5 months) and wasn’t really sure if I should get the shot. Could get Moderna in 2 weeks.

gumweed leaf tea and 100mg zinc glycinate daily helped cure me of covid when I got, I got it twice within 3 weeks.

Hard to say, occasionally vaccines (of any sort) have been known to trigger ME/CFS in healthy people, especially the hepatitis B vaccine. So there is a mysterious link between vaccines and ME/CFS. Although those who have ME/CFS triggered by coronavirus (long COVID) often improve after the coronavirus vaccine.

If you have anxiety along with your suspected high glutamate, I found N-acetyl glucosamine worked very well to reduce this anxiety, by reducing brain inflammation and glutamate, I suspect. See my thread here:

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!
L-methionine helped reduce my anxiety by something like 90%, obviously not an exact amount, then again my amino acids urine showed I was deficient anyways. It had a similar effect on my chemical sensitivities, although that was temporary.

@Hip well yeah I have severe pancreas insufficiency so that means my gut is always off. I will pay attention to the food thing but don't think it's that. Because I have severe issues with eating so timing is always the same.
@judyinthesky can I ask how you found out you had the pancreas insufficiency? Was there a test you took? Is this similar to pancreatis?

judyinthesky

@judyinthesky can I ask how you found out you had the pancreas insufficiency? Was there a test you took? Is this similar to pancreatis?
Sure. It's a stool pancreas elastase test. Mine is always almost inexistent. It's not like pancreatitis and that's been excluded with CT, MRI and endoscopic ultrasound. There's idiopathic cases of severe exocrine pancreas insufficiency. Diabetes or surgery in the gastro area can be a reason. I only had a thyroidectomy. Both were starting the decline of my health. Lipase or so wouldn't be enough to test for it, Elastase is the only test. 6.1% of IBS-D also have pancreas insufficiency.