• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excellent article on Covid ME from University of Leicester.

Countrygirl

https://le.ac.uk/news/2020/may/coro...hPEBUIW7NXgZhfy-7rllforkrviko6QAn0LXcKl-u1cB0

Here is an excellent article from the University of Leicester, which has, I suspect, been written by the group Physios4ME, on ME after Covid.

Every (Covid) cloud has a silver lining, it seems. We actually have an accurate article from a UK establishment. Is it a first??????

Patients who have had coronavirus could be at higher risk of developing Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), researchers at the University of Leicester have warned.

From previous studies involving patients with Epstein Barr and SARS, it has been estimated that up to 10% of people recovering from COVID-19 could develop ME. Whilst the exact causes of all cases of ME are not known, viral infection is commonly identified as a trigger.

As part of their rehabilitation, patients who have been critically ill with COVID-19 may require physiotherapy, and so physiotherapists could play an integral role in spotting the initial signs of the disease developing in patients.

Dr Nicola Clague-Baker, Associate Professor in the School of Allied Health Professions at the University of Leicester said: “The link between severe viral infection and ME is clear, as evidenced in the previous outbreaks of SARS and Epstein Barr, which saw an 8 - 10% corresponding rise in the number of patients diagnosed with ME.

“Careful questioning and an awareness of the viral infection in their history may help to identify potential new ME patients. It may be several months, or even years, before their symptoms are accurately identified.”

Clinical signs to look for include:

• Post exertional malaise
  • Persistent reported fatigue that substantially reduces activity levels
  • Unrefreshing sleep
  • Muscle and/or joint pain
  • Cognitive disturbances (memory, attention, information processing)
  • Sensory disturbances (photophobia, sound sensitivity)
  • Orthostatic intolerances (inability to tolerate anti-gravity positions)
  • Ongoing flu-like symptoms, sore throat/lymph node swelling

lenora

Yes, CountryGirl, that was an interesting article, especially for the U.K. It must make you feel that you've been vindicated....at least to a point.

As I age, I find the symptoms do, indeed, change. Some that were so obvious and overtook everything else in the beginning, now no longer exist. Other things have never changed. Like I've said so many times before, I would love to be around when and if an answer to this perplexing problem is ever discovered.

This changing body is one of the benefits of having the same Dr. He/she can see and tell exactly what's going on instead of explanations that the Dr. doesn't believe or isn't listening to in the first instance. A good Diagnostician is worth their weight in gold. Yours, Lenora.