• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evidence of widespread metabolite abnormalities in me/cfs-whole-brain magnetic resonance spectrosco

Please don't despair. I haven't read the published paper yet, but in Dr. Younger's presentation, he said he was working to find a drug to treat this and thought Naltrexone might be close.

I'm very impressed with Dr. Younger. Not only is he doing great research, but like Dr. Davis, he is sharing it before it is published. Finally, he is looking for clinical solutions.

ljimbo423

At the end of this video (it's only 21 minutes long), from last Septembers OMF symposium. At 18:35, Jarred Younger says that he just got a grant from the ME Research UK group.

To see if T cells and B cells are crossing the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) and causing the brain inflammation in ME/CFS.

He said he should have the results hopefully, within a year. That would be by this September.

He says "if we can find these cells in the brain, it's going to be really, really important to understanding the pathology of ME/CFS."

Last edited:

Murph

:)
Great work here by Jared Younger and his team. He is rapidly ascending the ranks and he might be at this moment the researcher with the best flow of findings.

If I could summarise this paper I'd say they went looking for chemicals in the brain that might be evidence of neuroinflammation. They found plenty. They were able to specify the locations of various of these chemicals in different brain regions.

Looks like Choline was the most prominent, in the left anterior cingulate region.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.09.47 AM.png

The most significant difference in the study was CHO in the left ACC. We note this area in particular because it is the only region to survive corrections for multiple comparisons, and because it has been noted as a critically important region mediating cytokine-induced fatigue and mood deterioration (Capuron et al. 2005; Harrison et al. 2009). Cytokineinduced fatigue and depressive symptoms have previously been attributed to inflammation in the ACC, as indicated by elevated glutamate on MRS (Haroon et al. 2014). The current study provides further evidence for the link between ACC inflammation and fatigue by demonstrating that ME/CFS patients show elevated CHO in this region.

The wikipedia on this part of the brain mentions autonomic functions which got me excited but mostly focuses on error detection and morality. It's hard to say if those are just things psychologists like to test or if those are really the core functions of this part of the brain. I don't feel we are especially morally deficient! Probably neuroscience is not yet really advanced enough to find regions of the brain that have very specific functions.

It's worth mentioning that in this study the observations are "normalised" by comparing to creatine levels. This looks to be standard practice but I can see an argument that creatine - an amino acid - could vary in patients. I hope Younger has a plan to rule out that as a potential source of bias.

Pyrrhus

Here is a summary of this paper, by the UK ME Association:
https://meassociation.org.uk/2019/0...brain-inflammation-in-me-cfs-15-january-2019/

And here is another summary, by Solve ME:
https://solvecfs.org/research-and-r...h-grants/meet-the-researchers/jarred-younger/

this video (it's only 21 minutes long), from last Septembers OMF symposium.

And here is a transcript of the video:
https://www.omf.ngo/wp-content/uplo...unger-How-Brain-Inflammation-Causes-MECFS.pdf

Wishful

We keep having stuff pointed out about what’s wrong with us but no treatments to help any of it, this is starting to get me down

It's a complex problem, so any progress is valuable. If they can show that it's definitely a brain issue, they can stop wasting money on studies on blood, serum, muscles, etc. Likewise, the search for treatments can focus on the brain, rather than muscle mictochondria or antivirals or whatever else. Maybe if it can't pass the BBB, it's not a good candidate for ME.

Rufous McKinney

And here is a transcript of the video:

its felt, to me, that the brain is inflamed...for at least thirty years now. Including when I watched teh 2020 episode and they opened up the hole in the base of teh skull: where lots of my misery resides.

the idea the brain isn't inflamed or isn't capable of being inflamed makes no sense to me and never has.

That our brain is swollen makes total sense to me, and that what overheated and swollen condition is triggering numerous wrong messages being delivered through out the body..

that can be summarized as: My finger won't bend...

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Excellent research and I'll be very interested to follow its expansion and progress.
I had a high definition brain mri a week ago. I won't have the results presented to me until July 20th. I'm eager to see what they show, if anything. When I speak with the neurologist on the 20th I want to run this research by them, and the possibility of scheduling an MRS.

CSMLSM